Cost of a PhD in Paleontology - Advice for College Freshman

• Programs
  • Thread starter chez_butt23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, a PhD in paleontology will cost a student around $50,000 in tuition and living expenses, but they may receive a stipend from their department. If you are a good student and have a passion for the subject, you have a good chance of getting an assistantship to cover tuition.
chez_butt23
I am a senior in high school right now, but am starting college at UC Davis next year majoring in Evolutionary Biology and Minoring in Chinese. My whole life's dream has been to go to become a paleontologist, but I am a bit confused on how graduate school works. How much will it cost to earn a PhD in paleontology? Will working as a TA or lab assistant to my professors in grad school take a chunk of money off or even make it free?

On another note, what lower division classes should I start with next year? I am taking Basic Chinese, but can I take Calculus 1 and Inorganic chem at the same time AND get good grades in all of the above?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get an offer to be a TA or RA, your tuition will be paid by your department and you'll receive a small salary (16k - 25k is average in physics) in addition to that, so if you live cheaply you won't have to take out loans. However, having no experience with paleontology, I can't tell you if that stipend is average for that field or how likely you are to get one. It's expected in most science fields to be offered one; in physics at least, not being offered a stipend is seen as a 'polite rejection'.

Paleo is great. I am sure that Chem would be a great asset to you for many sub-fields of paleontology or archeology. If you are worried about course load in your first term, you could space them out a bit. How good your grades will be depends as much on you and how demanding the school is. Most places have a system where you can drop a course without penalty (grades or money) within a certain time period. That let's you try a couple weeks of a course and make a decision then.

Make sure you research the policies at your own school, though.

As far as PhD costs, you should look at different University websites and see if they mention TA/RA arrangements. People here probably won't be that familiar with the field. I know there is some TA work for PhD students in Biological Anthropology at our school, but I have no idea how common it is.

As mentioned above, if you can drop courses in the first couple of days without any penalty, then by all means, sign up for what you think you can handle and be sure to look at the syllabi (sp?) for the courses to forecast your workload.

Don't forget about opportunity costs. A lot of people see this as a reason not to get a Ph.D. if they can get a large sum of money in the time they would've spent on it.

A lot of graduate students in the sciences and engineering do not pay anything for their education. They receive some from of assistantships, and this is tyically a TA'ship, or once they find a research supervisor for their dessertation, a RA'ship. These assistantships typically will pay full tuition and fees, plus a small stipend.

Zz.

1. What is the average cost of a PhD in Paleontology?

The cost of a PhD in Paleontology can vary greatly depending on the university and program. On average, students can expect to pay between $30,000 to $50,000 per year for tuition and fees.

2. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for PhD programs in Paleontology?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for students pursuing a PhD in Paleontology. These can include grants, fellowships, and assistantships offered by universities, as well as external scholarships from organizations and foundations.

3. Is it possible to work while pursuing a PhD in Paleontology to help cover the cost?

It is possible to work while pursuing a PhD in Paleontology, but it can be challenging given the demanding nature of the program. Many universities offer teaching or research assistant positions that provide a stipend and may cover tuition costs. However, it is important to carefully consider the time commitment and workload before taking on additional work.

4. Are there any additional expenses to consider when budgeting for a PhD in Paleontology?

In addition to tuition and fees, students should also budget for living expenses such as housing, food, and transportation. They may also need to pay for research materials, fieldwork expenses, and conference fees. It is important to research the specific program and university to get a better understanding of all potential costs.

5. Do all PhD programs in Paleontology have the same cost?

No, the cost of a PhD in Paleontology can vary significantly between programs. Factors such as the location, prestige of the university, and length of the program can all impact the cost. It is important to research and compare different programs to find one that fits your budget and academic goals.