Force Exerted on Ferromagnetic Object by Permanent Magnet

In summary, a request for help with a project involving finding the force between a permanent magnet and a ferromagnetic object was made. The desired method was a spreadsheet with adjustable values for the grade and size of the magnet, composition and size of the object, and distance between the two. It was suggested that a simple approach may be best, as calculations for this type of problem can be difficult and potentially inaccurate.
korneld
Hello everyone. There is a little project I could use some help with.

I would like this done in a spreadsheet, so I can mess around with different values.

The Problem:

On one hand, I have a permanent magnet and, on the other, I have a ferromagnetic object. I want to find out the force the magnet is exerting on my object from any given distance.
If I’m not mistaken, one of the bigger issues here is the shape of the magnet, because that can affect flux density. Let’s work with a nice, generic shape.

The values I’d like to play around with are:

• the grade of the magnet
  • the size of the magnet
  • the composition of the ferromagnetic object
  • the size of the ferromagnetic object
  • the distance between the two

I want to keep it simple. I don’t need the spreadsheet to have all the information stored on all neodymium magnets from N27 to N64. It should just tell me the different inputs it needs, and I’d be more than happy to look them up. The same goes for the ferromagnetic object.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.. I have a very similar problem. Did you make any progress with this? No one on the internet seems to no the answer.. hehe

No, unfortunately everyone pretty much ignored it. Not sure why. I think, though, that it's probably best to do this experimentally. Calculations for this stuff can be difficult I'm told, and ultimately inaccurate.

Thanks for the reply.
Yup, the calculations do seem to be complex and even then, if the equations are solved, they only give rough estimates. :(
Trial and error it is then..

Dear researcher,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance on your project. I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem and create a spreadsheet to analyze the force exerted on a ferromagnetic object by a permanent magnet.

First, we need to understand the concept of magnetic force. Magnetic force is the attraction or repulsion between two magnets or a magnet and a ferromagnetic object. This force is dependent on several factors, including the strength of the magnet, the distance between the two objects, and the properties of the materials involved.

To begin, we can use the basic formula for magnetic force, which is F = (magnetic field strength x pole strength x area)/distance^2. The magnetic field strength is determined by the grade of the magnet and the pole strength is determined by the size of the magnet. These values can be easily looked up for different neodymium magnets. The area is the surface area of the magnet that is in contact with the ferromagnetic object. This area can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the magnet.

Next, we need to consider the properties of the ferromagnetic object. The composition of the object will affect its magnetic properties, such as its magnetic permeability. The size of the object will also impact the force exerted on it by the magnet. We can calculate the surface area of the object in contact with the magnet using the same method as for the magnet.

Finally, we need to consider the distance between the two objects. As the distance increases, the magnetic force decreases. This can be accounted for in the formula by squaring the distance.

Once we have all these variables, we can create a spreadsheet to input the different values and calculate the force exerted on the ferromagnetic object by the permanent magnet. By changing the values for the magnet grade, size, and the ferromagnetic object composition and size, we can see how these factors affect the force exerted.

I hope this helps guide you in creating your spreadsheet. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your project.

Sincerely,

1. What is a ferromagnetic object?

A ferromagnetic object is a material that can be magnetized and retains its magnetic properties even after the magnetizing force is removed. Examples of ferromagnetic materials include iron, nickel, and cobalt.

2. How does a permanent magnet exert force on a ferromagnetic object?

A permanent magnet creates a magnetic field around it, and when a ferromagnetic object is placed within this field, the magnetic domains within the object align with the magnet's field, creating a net force on the object.

3. What factors affect the force exerted on a ferromagnetic object by a permanent magnet?

The force exerted on a ferromagnetic object by a permanent magnet depends on the strength of the magnet, the distance between the magnet and the object, and the magnetic properties of the object itself.

4. How can the force exerted on a ferromagnetic object by a permanent magnet be increased?

The force can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnet, decreasing the distance between the magnet and the object, or using a more magnetically responsive ferromagnetic material for the object.

5. Can the force exerted by a permanent magnet on a ferromagnetic object be turned off or adjusted?

No, the force exerted by a permanent magnet cannot be turned off or adjusted. However, the strength of the magnet can be altered by changing the temperature or applying a demagnetizing force.