Greens Theorem: Evaluate Line Integral of 6xy-y^2

In summary: but part of me thinks that the answer for dy might be different because we are integrating along the y-axis instead of the x-axis.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Use greens theorem to evaluate this line integral [itex]\oint_{C} 6xy- y^2[/itex] assuming C is oriented counter clockwise. The region bounded by the curves y=x^2 and y=x.

Homework Equations

[itex] \displaystyle \int\int_{R}\Bigl( \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\Biggr) = \oint_{C} Pdx + Qdy[/itex]

I calculate

[itex] \displaystyle \oint_{C} 6xy- y^2 dx= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{x^2}^{ \sqrt x} (-6x+2y)dy dx [/itex]

This correct start?

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Use greens theorem to evaluate this line integral [itex]\oint_{C} 6xy- y^2[/itex] assuming C is oriented counter clockwise. The region bounded by the curves y=x^2 and y=x.

Homework Equations

[itex] \displaystyle \int\int_{R}\Bigl( \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\Biggr) = \oint_{C} Pdx + Qdy[/itex]

I calculate

[itex] \displaystyle \oint_{C} 6xy- y^2 dx= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{x^2}^{ \sqrt x} (-6x+2y)dy dx [/itex]

This correct start?
You need to specify the problem correctly. In other words, don't omit stuff. This expression doesn't make sense as written:
$$\oint_{C} 6xy- y^2$$

If [tex]\int_{C} -3x^{2}dy-y^{2}dx [/tex] as the integral representation, then -6x+2y is totally valid.

vela said:
You need to specify the problem correctly. In other words, don't omit stuff. This expression doesn't make sense as written:
$$\oint_{C} 6xy- y^2$$

Sorry, that was a typo but I had it correct further on.

[itex]\displaystyle \oint_{C} 6xy- y^2 dx[/itex]

Hence is my calculation in post 1 correct?

bugatti79 said:
Sorry, that was a typo but I had it correct further on.

[itex]\displaystyle \oint_{C} 6xy- y^2 dx[/itex]

Hence is my calculation in post 1 correct?
You mean
$$\oint_{C} (6xy- y^2) dx.$$
The limits on your area integral are wrong.

vela said:
You mean
$$\oint_{C} (6xy- y^2) dx.$$
The limits on your area integral are wrong.

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I calculate

This correct start?

Sorry, that sqrt was a typo. It should read...

[itex] \displaystyle \oint_{C} (6xy- y^2) dx= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{x^2}^{ x} (-6x+2y)dy dx [/itex]...good to go?

Yes, that looks right. You could always check by evaluating the integrals both ways.

bugatti79 said:
Sorry, that sqrt was a typo. It should read...

[itex] \displaystyle \oint_{C} (6xy- y^2) dx= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{x^2}^{ x} (-6x+2y)dy dx [/itex]...good to go?

vela said:
Yes, that looks right. You could always check by evaluating the integrals both ways.

but how would you evaluate the LHS of above if we don't have the limits for the LHS?

the LHS is a line intergal, and you are given the curves, so you should be able to subtitute y(x) into the integral and evaluate to the endpoint of the curve

In this case it will require splitting the integral into 2 parts, with one for each curve, and the endpoints will be where the curves intersect

for more info see wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green's_theorem

lanedance said:
the LHS is a line intergal, and you are given the curves, so you should be able to subtitute y(x) into the integral and evaluate to the endpoint of the curve

In this case it will require splitting the integral into 2 parts, with one for each curve, and the endpoints will be where the curves intersect

for more info see wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green's_theorem

Ok. I calculated line integral (LHS) which involved 2 integrals and then summing them.

Now I am to evalute the following by changing dx to dy. Should I expect a different answer?

Now for [itex]\displaystyle \oint_{C} (6xy- y^2) dy= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{x^2}^{ x} 6y dy dx=\frac{2}{5}[/itex]...?

what do you think?

(PS not trying to be smart, but its worth you trying to think things through)

lanedance said:
what do you think?

(PS not trying to be smart, but its worth you trying to think things through)

Part of me thinks that the answers should be the same because we are calculating the area of the bounded region so it doesn't matter what direction we integrate along...?

What is Greens Theorem?

Greens Theorem is a theorem in multivariable calculus that relates a double integral over a region in the plane to a line integral around the boundary of the region. It is named after the mathematician George Green who first published it in the 1830s.

What is the formula for Greens Theorem?

The formula for Greens Theorem is:
∫∫R (∂Q/∂x - ∂P/∂y) dA = ∫C (Pdx + Qdy)
where R is the region in the xy-plane, C is the boundary of R, and P and Q are functions of x and y.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function along a curve or a line. It is used to calculate the work done by a force, the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe, or the amount of charge moving along an electric field, among other applications.

What is the purpose of evaluating a line integral?

Evaluating a line integral allows us to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating the work done by a force, the circulation of a fluid, or the flux of a vector field.

How can Greens Theorem be used to evaluate a line integral?

Greens Theorem can be used to evaluate a line integral by converting it into a double integral over a region in the plane. This can be helpful when the line integral is difficult to calculate directly, as it provides an alternative method for finding the value. In the case of the line integral of 6xy-y^2, Greens Theorem can be used to convert it into a double integral of (6x + 2y) over the region bounded by the curve C.