Good choice of books for my linear algebra syllabus

In summary, the person is looking for good books for their linear algebra syllabus. They mention that they have already considered Linear Algebra by David Lay and Anton, but are studying in a different language with a different syllabus. They are specifically interested in finding more thorough and detailed explanations for topics such as lines and planes in space. They have heard Goodaire is a good book, but are open to suggestions that better suit their syllabus. They list 12 specific topics they need to cover and ask for opinions on different books, including Linear Algebra and Its Applications by Gilbert Strang and Schaum's Outline of Linear Algebra. They are unable to find a preview of Goodaire's book online.
Riazy
Good choice of books for my linear algebra syllabus

Hello guys, I am looking for some good books for linear algebra.
I have got Linear algebra by, David Lay and Anton .
However I am studying Linear algebra in another language than English
and our syllabus is a bit different from many English speaking countries.
I feel like I want a more thorough and more detailed theory on the following subjects

Especially when it comes to lines and planes in space.

I have heard that goodaire is a good book too, but perhaps you guys can give me some good suggestions for books which suit respective subject
I would like to have a suggestion for good books which suit my syllabus

1. Linear Equation systems
2. Matrices
3. Transpose, Matrix Inverses
4. Vectors, Basis, and coordinates
5. Linear combination of vectors, Linear independent vectors. Change of Basis
6. Scalar products, Orthonormal basis
7. Areas, vektor products,volumes and determinants
8. Lines and Plane in Space
9. Linear imaging/depictions. It's definition and properties
10. Compostions / Combinations and Inverses.
Kernel (linear operator) and Range
11.Matrix productions in different basis. Isometric Images/depections
12. Diagonalization of linear images.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lay is a good book. Get the latest edition.

Linear Algebra and Its Applications 4th Edition by Gilbert Strang. Also check his video lectures online available for free.

And for revision: Schaum's outline of linear algebra.

I would recommend taking a look at "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. This book covers all the topics listed in your syllabus and provides a thorough and detailed explanation of each concept. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help reinforce your understanding. Additionally, the author's writing style is clear and easy to follow, making it a great resource for studying in another language. Another book that may be helpful is "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, which focuses on the theoretical aspects of linear algebra and provides a rigorous treatment of the subject. I hope these suggestions help and wish you success in your studies!

1. What is the importance of choosing the right books for a linear algebra syllabus?

Choosing the right books for a linear algebra syllabus is crucial as it sets the foundation for understanding the subject. A well-chosen book can make complex concepts easier to grasp and can provide a comprehensive understanding of the topic. It can also help students develop problem-solving skills and prepare them for future courses in mathematics and related fields.

2. How do I determine which books are suitable for a linear algebra syllabus?

When selecting books for a linear algebra syllabus, consider the content, level of difficulty, and relevance to the course objectives. Look for books that cover all the necessary topics, provide clear explanations, and include ample examples and practice problems. It is also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from other educators or experts in the field.

3. Is it necessary to choose multiple books for a linear algebra syllabus?

While it is not required, it can be beneficial to have multiple books as supplemental resources for a linear algebra syllabus. Different books may present the material in a slightly different way, providing students with alternative explanations and perspectives. Additionally, having multiple books can aid in reinforcing concepts and providing additional practice problems.

4. Are there any specific books that are highly recommended for a linear algebra syllabus?

There are many excellent books available for linear algebra, and the best one will depend on the specific needs and goals of the course. Some popular and highly recommended books include "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole, "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler.

5. Can I use online resources instead of traditional textbooks for a linear algebra syllabus?

Using online resources as the main source for a linear algebra syllabus can be a viable option, but it is important to carefully evaluate the quality and reliability of the resources. It may be beneficial to combine online resources with traditional textbooks to ensure a well-rounded learning experience. Additionally, some students may prefer physical textbooks over digital materials.