How to find the same angle in different orientations?

• Thread starter eggshell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation revolves around the placement of a 30 degree angle in a free body diagram for a statics class. It is explained that the angle is the result of rotating the coordinate axes by 30 degrees and that this is done for expediency, as it coincides with the normal forces at points A and B. It is also noted that the direction of "down" remains unchanged, so the coordinate system is rotated with respect to this direction.
eggshell

Homework Statement

This is from a homework that's already been graded, and this is the solution:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg842/scaled.php?server=842&filename=angler.jpg&res=medium

I just want to know the reasoning behind the placement of the the 30 degree angles in the free body diagram given only the original picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only reasoning that I can see is that if you readjusted the axis to it's more typical x and y directions, then the force resulting from gravity acting on the object would overlap the -x axis. So by tilting the coordinate axis 30 degrees, a 30 degree angle forms between the G force and the NB force, because the G force always points directly down. Is there a better proof for this? Am I wrong in my reasoning for the placement of that angle? If it is relevant, this is for a statics class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The coordinate axes are chosen, for expediency, so as to coincide with the normal forces at points A and B. It just so happens that the L-shaped bracket is tilted by 30° from the horizontal.

I know why the coordinate axes are tilted in the way that they are, but my question is how does one recognize that the 30 degree angle (in the free body diagram) is the same angle as the one shown in the picture.

eggshell said:
I know why the coordinate axes are tilted in the way that they are, but my question is how does one recognize that the 30 degree angle (in the free body diagram) is the same angle as the one shown in the picture.

The coordinate system is rotated by 30°. The direction of "down", in which the gravitational force is directed, remains unchanged, so the coordinate system is rotated with respect to this direction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43915&stc=1&d=1329252500.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 501

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of orientation and how it affects angles. Orientation refers to the direction in which an object is facing or positioned. In this case, the orientation of the object is important because it affects the angle between the forces acting on it.

To find the same angle in different orientations, we can use the concept of vector components. Vector components refer to the parts of a vector in different directions. In this case, we can break down the forces acting on the object into their x and y components.

In the given solution, the 30 degree angles are placed in the free body diagram based on the orientation of the x and y axes. By tilting the coordinate axis by 30 degrees, we are essentially rotating the axes to align with the orientation of the object. This allows us to accurately determine the x and y components of the forces acting on the object.

The angle between the G force and the NB force is then determined by using the x and y components of the forces. This is because the angle between two vectors can be found using the dot product formula: cosθ = (A·B)/(|A||B|).

In conclusion, the placement of the 30 degree angles in the free body diagram is based on the orientation of the x and y axes, which allows us to accurately determine the angle between the forces acting on the object. This concept of using vector components can be applied to find the same angle in different orientations for any problem involving forces acting on an object.

1. How do I find the same angle in different orientations?

To find the same angle in different orientations, you can use a protractor to measure the angle in each orientation. Another method is to use the properties of angles, such as the fact that vertical angles are equal, to determine the angle in different orientations.

2. Can I use trigonometry to find the same angle in different orientations?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to find the same angle in different orientations. You can use the trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to calculate the angle in different orientations.

3. Is it possible to find the same angle in different orientations without a protractor?

Yes, it is possible to find the same angle in different orientations without a protractor. You can use geometric constructions, such as constructing parallel lines or perpendicular lines, to determine the angle in different orientations.

4. How can I use a compass to find the same angle in different orientations?

A compass can be used to find the same angle in different orientations by creating congruent angles. You can use the compass to measure and mark the angle in one orientation, and then transfer the same angle to other orientations by creating congruent angles.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to finding the same angle in different orientations?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used to find the same angle in different orientations. For example, you can use the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees to determine the missing angle in a triangle in different orientations. You can also use the properties of parallel lines, such as alternate interior angles or corresponding angles, to find the same angle in different orientations.