A) Investigating Probabilities of X < 1

In summary, the given conversation discusses an investigation of a random phenomenon using the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of a random variable X. The CDF has values of F_X(1)=.5, F_X(2)=.74, and F_X(3)=.92. The question is then posed to determine the probability of X being less than 1, larger than 2, and between 1 and 3. Using the formula 0.5+0.74+0.92=2.16, it is determined that the probability of X being less than 1 is 23.148%. The answer to part A is immediate, and the other two parts can be solved using the same method. It
mah062
1) (1 pt) You are investigating a random phenomenon and have determined that the cumulative distribution function F_{X}(x):=P(X<x) of the random variable X has values F_{X}(1)=.5, F_{X}(2)=.74, F_{X}(3)=.92

A) Less than 1 _____

B) Larger than 2 _____

C) Between 1 and 3 _____

2) Equations: None that I know of that pertain to this particular problem.

3) Part A:
0.5+0.74+0.92=2.16

So... 0.5/2.16=0.23148 Or 23.148%

I tried this for each part. I'm looking through my notes but they only have probability questions with equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
mah062 said:
1) (1 pt) You are investigating a random phenomenon and have determined that the cumulative distribution function F_{X}(x):=P(X<x) of the random variable X has values F_{X}(1)=.5, F_{X}(2)=.74, F_{X}(3)=.92

A) Less than 1 _____

B) Larger than 2 _____

C) Between 1 and 3 _____
2) Equations: None that I know of that pertain to this particular problem. 3) Part A:
0.5+0.74+0.92=2.16

So... 0.5/2.16=0.23148 Or 23.148%

I tried this for each part. I'm looking through my notes but they only have probability questions with equations.

You're given the cumulative distribution function (CDF). That gives the probability that X will be LESS than a given value x.

So what does [itex]F_X(1)[/itex] signify? The answer to part a) is immediate.

Can you now figure out the other two parts?

Solved. Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of investigating probabilities of X < 1?

The purpose of investigating probabilities of X < 1 is to understand the likelihood of an event occurring when the value of X is less than 1. This can help to make predictions and inform decision-making in various fields such as finance, economics, and engineering.

2. How is the probability of X < 1 calculated?

The probability of X < 1 is calculated by dividing the number of outcomes where X is less than 1 by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented by the formula P(X < 1) = Number of X < 1 outcomes / Total number of outcomes.

3. What factors can affect the probability of X < 1?

The factors that can affect the probability of X < 1 include the sample size, the range of values for X, and any underlying patterns or trends in the data. Other external factors such as environmental conditions or human behavior may also play a role in determining the probability.

4. How can the probabilities of X < 1 be used in real-world applications?

The probabilities of X < 1 can be used in various real-world applications such as risk assessment, predicting stock market trends, and determining the likelihood of success for a new product or technology. It can also be used in fields such as healthcare to understand the likelihood of a certain treatment being effective.

5. What are some limitations of investigating probabilities of X < 1?

One limitation of investigating probabilities of X < 1 is that it only provides an estimate and cannot guarantee the exact outcome of an event. Additionally, it may not take into account all possible factors or variables that could affect the probability. It is also important to note that probabilities are based on past data and may not accurately predict future events.