Shankar, Ballentine or Zettili for a first book on QM?

In summary, the conversation discusses three textbooks on quantum mechanics - Zettili, Shankar, and Bellentine. The participants share their opinions on these books and offer recommendations. Zettili is praised for its detailed explanations and solved problems, while Shankar is criticized for being too wordy. Bellentine is suggested as a good second book on the subject.
Miscing
All three seem to be loved, mathematically rigorous, and appropriate as undergraduate-level texts. I have a good knowledge of classical physics, ODEs and PDEs, linear algebra and multivar calculus, but no knowledge of analytical mechanics or QM. Some opinions on these or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Zettili contains many solved problems and derivations are in general detailed, but it is short on explaining some/many important topics.
A book that I had the pleasure in reading was:https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199560277/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its contains around 600 pages of chapters and a 200 pages appendix (an awesome appendix).
I did supplement some parts of this book with Zettili's. My own reviews of both can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/site/muhanad/home/books

I am not a fan of Shankar's, gets me bored easily (kind of too wordy ?)
I haven't used Bellentine's before.

Last edited by a moderator:
shankar of course

Zettilli is incredible. I would put it over Shankar.

I don't venture myself anymore on suggestions as to which book to start with; I can say, however, that you should have Ballentine's book as a prime candidate for a second book on quantum mechanics.

Awesome, thanks for the replies!

1. What is the difference between Shankar, Ballentine, and Zettili for a first book on QM?

Shankar, Ballentine, and Zettili are all popular textbooks for beginners studying quantum mechanics. Shankar's book is known for its rigorous mathematical approach and comprehensive coverage of topics. Ballentine's book is more conceptual and focuses on the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics. Zettili's book is a good balance between the two, with a strong emphasis on problem-solving and applications.

2. Which book is best for someone with no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics?

All three books can be used by beginners with no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. However, Shankar's book may be more challenging for those without a strong background in mathematics, while Ballentine's book may be more accessible for non-mathematical readers.

3. Do these books cover all the necessary topics in quantum mechanics?

Yes, all three books cover the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum states and operators, and more advanced topics such as entanglement and quantum measurement.

4. Which book is best for self-study?

This ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Shankar's book may be best for those who prefer a more mathematical and theoretical approach, while Ballentine's book may be better for those who want a more conceptual and philosophical understanding. Zettili's book may be a good compromise for those who want a balance between the two.

5. Are there any accompanying resources or solutions for these books?

Yes, all three books have accompanying resources such as solution manuals, lecture notes, and online resources. These can be found on the publisher's website or through a simple online search.