Calculating Volume of Solid with Isosceles Right Triangular Cross-Sections

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid with a base of the disc x2+y2=1, and cross-sections by planes perpendicular to the y-axis between y=-1 and y=1 are isosceles right triangles with one leg in the disc. The solution involves using the formula A(y)=1/2bh and integrating from -1 to 1 to find the volume of the solid. The result is 8/3.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
The base of the solid is the disc x2+y2=1. The cross-section by planes perpendicular to the y-axis between y=-1 and y=1 are isosceles right triangles with 1 leg in the disc. Find the volume of the solid.

I did the problem, but I am not sure if I did it correctly, and if I did I really just need the problem explained. I understand most of it, I think:

[tex]A(y)=\frac{1}{2}bh=(\frac{1}{2})(2\sqrt{1-y^2})(2\sqrt{1-y^2})=2(1-y^2)[/tex]

[tex]V_s=\int_{-1}^1A(y)dy=2\int_{-1}^1(1-y^2)dy=2(y-\frac{1}{3}y^3]_{-1}^1)=2(\frac{4}{3})=\frac{8}{3}[/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to tell without image. I got a triangle with base ##2x## and height ##x##. That would mean ##A(y)=x^2=(1-y^2)## and a volume ##\displaystyle{\int_{-1}^{1}}(1-y^2)\,dy= \dfrac{4}{3}## but I'm not sure I got it right.

1. What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the amount of space that a three-dimensional object occupies.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a regular solid?

The volume of a regular solid can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the object.

3. How do you find the volume of an irregular solid?

The volume of an irregular solid can be found by using the water displacement method. This involves submerging the object in a graduated cylinder filled with water and measuring the change in water level.

4. What units are used to measure volume?

The most commonly used units for volume are cubic meters (m3) and cubic centimeters (cm3). However, other units such as liters (L) and milliliters (mL) are also used.

5. How is volume related to other measurements, such as mass and density?

Volume is directly related to mass and density. Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while density is the mass per unit volume. This means that the volume of an object can affect its mass and density, and vice versa.