How does the center of mass affect collisions in theoretical mechanics?

• Thread starter allistair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the handbook says that if the system is at rest, then the total momentum (0) must equal the sum of the momenta of the particles.
allistair
There's something in my theoretical mechanics handbook that i don't quite understand. Say you have an observer in a labratory watching 2 particles, one of which is in a state of rest (m_2) and the other one (m1) is moving towards it.

the placevector of the center of mass of the system is
[tex] R = \frac{m_{1}.R_{10}+m_{2}.R_{20}}{m_{1}+m_{2}} $ [/tex]
wich moves with a speed
[tex] V = \frac{m_{1}.v_{10}}{m_{1}+m_{2}} = \frac{p_{10}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}$ [/tex]
v_10 and R_10 and R_20 seen by the labratory observer, say you have an observer at the centre of mass of the system, he observes the particles with speeds v_1 and v_2

for the observer at the centre of mass before the particles collide the impules p_1 and p_2 are the same but in oppsing directions. Now my handbook states that
[tex] p_{1}=p{2} = m_{2}.V = \frac{m_{2}.p_{10}}{m{1}+m{2}} [/tex]
wich i don't fully understand

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1.Compute the velocities of the particles relative to C.M.
2. Then figure out their momenta.

i worked it out like you said and i was able to get the answer, thanks alot, intuitivly the answer just felt a bit wrong.

allistair said:
i worked it out like you said and i was able to get the answer, thanks alot, intuitivly the answer just felt a bit wrong.
Well, then your next task is to improve your intuition as follows:

The total momentum of a system is MV, where M is the total mass, and V is a velocity determined so that MV equals the sum of the constituent particles' momenta.

That is, we regard momentum as an additive quantity, and the C.M velocity is just the average velocity with masses as weights.

But, if your system consists of two particles, 1 and 2, and we choose to regard it in the system where the C.M is at rest, that is V=0; then we must have:
[tex]0=p_{1}+p_{2}[/tex] since the systems total momentum (i.e, 0) must equal the sum of the constituent particles' momenta.

all right?

1. What is a collision?

A collision is an event in which two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy or momentum. In physics, collisions can be categorized as elastic, inelastic, or completely inelastic, depending on the conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of objects after a collision?

The velocity of objects after a collision can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. This involves analyzing the masses and initial velocities of the objects as well as the type of collision (elastic, inelastic, or completely inelastic).

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision is affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the type of collision, and the nature of the surfaces in contact. Other factors such as external forces and the presence of friction can also play a role.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other and their velocities change, but the total kinetic energy remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation, and only momentum is conserved.

5. What are some real-life examples of collisions?

Collisions occur in many everyday situations, such as when a ball bounces off a wall, a car crashes into another car, or two billiard balls collide on a pool table. Other examples include collisions between particles in a gas, the impact of raindrops on a surface, and the collisions of molecules during chemical reactions.