Optimizing Bicycle Performance: Where Should Mass Be Removed?

In summary, removing mass from the wheels is more effective than removing mass from the frame when it comes to accelerating and climbing hills.
TSN79
If we are to remove mass from a bicycle, does it have a better effect to remove this mass from the tires instead of the frame due to rotation and such? One opinion states that this is eminence only during acceleration and not during constant velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are not concerned with tire strength then this is true simply from the aspect of

[tex]T = I \alpha[/tex]

If you decrease I, then the required torque for the same angular acceleration is lower. If you are at a constant velocity, the only torque required will be that to overcome reisistances like aerodynamic and rolling.

That being said, from what I have seen, bike tires are pretty flimsy to begin with. Are you really going to be able to take that much off to produce a noticeable result? I would think the frame would be the logical place to start looking, but I am not a cycling enthusiast.

If you want to reduce the energy needed to get to a certain speed, then it is indeed better to remove mass from the wheels than from the non-spinning parts.

In agreement with what's been said, you will find it easy to remove 'unsprung' weight from a bike by replacing normal (steel beaded) tyres with lightweight kevlar beaded ones. This is cheap, and effective, and you'll really notice it when accelerating and climbing hills.

Then, think about your rims. Carbon composite ones, or just really good lightweight alloys (depending on your riding style) can take a vast amount of weight from the outer reaches of your wheels, and again will improve acceleration, deceleration and hill-climbing performance.

Then, start to think about butted Cr-Mo spokes, and some decent hubs.

Taking 500g off your wheels is FAR more worthwhile than taking 500g off your frame. Fred speaks with wisdom, but is unaware of the benefits of kevlar beaded tyres! :smile:

A half a kilogram? Yowza. I am amazed that that little bit of mass makes that much of a difference, but I yeild to experience.

Well, most situations probably wouldn't allow quite as much of a saving as as 500g per wheel, but the point remains, removing rotating mass is FAR more effective than removing mass just from the frame.

I would think that anything you can do to reduce the mass/resistance of the drivetrain would help to an extent somewhere between that of the wheels and the frame. Low-friction chain/sprockets; composite gears and cranks with biggest allowable lightning holes; maximum-efficiency bearings, etc.. (Personally, though, I'd just put a motor on the bloody thing.)

1. How do you remove mass from a bicycle?

To remove mass from a bicycle, you can start by removing any unnecessary accessories or components such as fenders, racks, and lights. You can also switch to lighter weight materials for parts like the frame, handlebars, and wheels. Additionally, you can opt for a lighter weight seat and tires. Overall, choosing lightweight components and removing unnecessary accessories can help decrease the mass of a bicycle.

2. Why would someone want to remove mass from their bicycle?

Removing mass from a bicycle can improve its performance and make it easier to ride. A lighter bike requires less effort to pedal, making it faster and more efficient. This can be especially beneficial for racing or long-distance riding. Additionally, a lighter bike is also easier to transport and carry when not riding.

3. Are there any disadvantages to removing mass from a bicycle?

While a lighter bike can have its benefits, there are also some potential disadvantages. Removing too much mass can compromise the structural integrity of the bike and make it less durable. It can also make the bike more prone to damage from rough terrain or crashes. Additionally, lighter components can be more expensive and may not be as durable as heavier ones.

4. Can removing mass from a bicycle affect its balance and stability?

Yes, removing mass from a bicycle can affect its balance and stability. A lighter bike may feel more responsive and nimble, but it can also be more difficult to control, especially at high speeds. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and make sure the bike remains safe and stable after removing mass.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when removing mass from a bicycle?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when removing mass from a bicycle. Make sure to regularly check and maintain the bike's brakes, as a lighter bike may require more braking power. It is also important to ensure that all components are properly secured and that the bike remains structurally sound after removing mass. If in doubt, consult a professional bike mechanic for assistance.