Troubleshooting: Downloading & Burning Morphix to CD

In summary, I downloaded Morphix, which was supposed to give me an idea of Linux. I downloaded an iso file. Then I had a virtual drive so I mounted it on that. I used Nero and burnt all the files to a rewritable cd. When I restarted the pc (with the CD inside), I got "Boot from CD: " but it stayed there for 10 seconds and then I got Win XP (booting from my HDD). I checked the MD5 checksum before burning the CD, and the ISO image I downloaded was corrupt, so I burned it again. Now it's working properly.
chound
I downloaded Morphix which was supposed to give me an idea of Linux. I downloaded an iso file. Then I had a virtual drive so I mounted it on that. I used Nero and burnt all the files to a rewritable cd.

When I restart the pc (with the CD inside) I get "Boot from CD: " it stays there for 10 seconds and then i get Win XP(booting from my HDD) not Linux.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Did you try hitting 'enter' when the 'boot from cd' prompt came up?

faust9 said:
Did you try hitting 'enter' when the 'boot from cd' prompt came up?
Yes, But XP starts loading!

Did you check the MD5 checksum before burning the CD? Perhaps the ISO image you downloaded was corrupted.

What is MD5 Checksum?

MD5 Checksum is a unique string based on the bits of the file. For example if you look at the right column of this page you'll see a link called MD5SUM:

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=4 [Broken]

The string will look something like this:

a0b162e26281ef097ee8b39b8690a8c2 debian-30r4-i386-binary-1_NONUS.iso

When you finish downloading the ISO image you'll run the file through a tool that will generate a md5 string. It should match the same string on the website you downloaded the file from.

Here is an MD5 checksum tool you can use on windows to verifiy the ISO image:

http://www.etree.org/md5com.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you burn the image to a disk or just the files and folders as they were? You should open the ISO file with nero and it should be ready to burn

Last edited:
Grotesque Puppet said:
Did you burn the image to a disk or just the files and folders as they were? You should open the ISO file with nero and it should be ready to burn
Yes that was the mistake I did. Now its working properly.

1. What is the best way to troubleshoot downloading and burning Morphix to a CD?

The best way to troubleshoot downloading and burning Morphix to a CD is to first make sure that you have a stable internet connection and enough space on your computer to download the file. Then, double-check that you are using a reliable and up-to-date CD burning software. If you continue to encounter issues, try restarting your computer and trying again.

2. Why is my download of Morphix taking so long?

The download speed of Morphix can vary depending on your internet connection and server load. If the download is taking longer than expected, try pausing and resuming the download, or try downloading at a different time of day when there may be less internet traffic.

3. How can I ensure that my downloaded Morphix file is not corrupted?

To ensure that your downloaded Morphix file is not corrupted, you can use a checksum utility to verify the file's integrity. The checksum value should match the one provided by the source website. If the values do not match, try re-downloading the file.

4. Why does my burned Morphix CD not work?

There are a few possible reasons why a burned Morphix CD may not work. First, make sure that your CD burning software has successfully completed the burning process without any errors. Also, check that your computer's BIOS is set to boot from a CD. If the CD still does not work, try burning the image at a slower speed or using a different CD burning software.

5. Can I use a USB drive instead of a CD to install Morphix?

Yes, you can use a USB drive to install Morphix instead of a CD. To do so, you will need to use a utility to create a bootable USB drive with the Morphix image file. Make sure to check the Morphix website for specific instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for your operating system.