How Does a Crossbow Bolt Behave in Space?

• Thread starter AdnamaLeigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: The bolt is accelerated for .642 seconds and has a final speed of 124 m/s. After that, it is constant speed.
AdnamaLeigh
This is a two step problem:

a) In deep space (no gravity), the bolt (arrow) of a crossbow accelerates at 193 m/s2 and attains a speed of 124 m/s when it leaves the bow. For how long is it accelerated?

b) What speed will the bolt have attained 3.6s after leaving the crossbow? Answer in m/s

I correctly figured out that it is accelerated for .642 s. But I don't quite understand what happens afterwards. Since there is no gravity, doesn't the acceleration continue? I multiplied 193 by 3.6 but the answer is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
RECALL:
F=ma

No force, No acceleration. As soon as the bolt separates from the sting the force ends.

AdnamaLeigh said:

a) In deep space (no gravity), the bolt (arrow) of a crossbow accelerates at 193 m/s2 and attains a speed of 124 m/s when it leaves the bow. For how long is it accelerated?
Do you know what acceleration means? Initial speed was 0 m/s, final speed was 124 m/s. (124- 0)/x sec= 193 m/sec2. What is x?

b) What speed will the bolt have attained 3.6s after leaving the crossbow? Answer in m/s
You were given the acceleration! final speed = initialspeed (0)+ acceleration* time as long as it does accelerate- after that, constant speed!

I correctly figured out that it is accelerated for .642 s. But I don't quite understand what happens afterwards. Since there is no gravity, doesn't the acceleration continue? I multiplied 193 by 3.6 but the answer is wrong.
Yep! you were told that it accelerates to a final speed of 124 m/s. After that, no acceleration= constant speed.

AdnamaLeigh said:

So why are you firing medieval weapons in space?

What is crossbow acceleration?

Crossbow acceleration refers to the change in velocity of a crossbow bolt as it moves from the string to the target. It is a measure of the force and speed with which the bolt is launched.

How does crossbow acceleration impact accuracy?

The acceleration of a crossbow bolt is a key factor in determining its accuracy. A higher acceleration typically results in a flatter trajectory and more consistent shots, while lower acceleration can lead to a curved or inconsistent flight path.

What factors affect crossbow acceleration?

The main factors that affect crossbow acceleration include the draw weight of the bow, the weight and design of the bolt, and the amount of friction between the bolt and the crossbow rail. Other factors such as wind resistance and temperature can also play a role.

Can crossbow acceleration be increased?

Yes, crossbow acceleration can be increased by using a higher draw weight, lighter bolts, and reducing friction between the bolt and the crossbow rail. However, it is important to note that there are legal limits to the amount of acceleration that is allowed for hunting or competition purposes.

Is crossbow acceleration important for hunting?

Yes, crossbow acceleration is important for hunting as it can affect the accuracy and effectiveness of the shot. A higher acceleration can result in a more lethal shot, while a lower acceleration may lead to a wounded or missed animal.