I need to get back in the groove

• Thread starter sh86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggles with mathematics, specifically in the areas of geometry and trigonometry. They request help with solving certain math problems and inquire about recommended books for self-study. The conversation also includes a summary of how to solve one of the problems using trigonometry and recommends a website for reviewing geometry concepts.
sh86
Hi everyone. Let me start by saying that my math is quite rusty to say the least. I got through high school math through memorizing formulas and as a result I have large, gaping holes in my understanding of mathematics and I'm trying desperately to make up for it. This is especially true for my knowledge of geometry and parts of trigonometry.

Take a look at this math problem page I found on Google: http://www.coastal.edu/math/mathcontest/Level1_04.pdf . See number 3? How do you solve this problem? I have no clue where to begin. I don't remember the strategies. I have the same issue with number 7. Number 10 is a mystery as well (notice these all have to do with angles and triangles...).

Exactly what kind of math is used to solve those problems? Is it straight geometry? Trigonometry? General precalculus? And do you know of any good books I can use to teach myself these things? I am looking for a regular math book, not a scholastic textbook used in a classroom. I have also seen some SAT test questions involving angles like this and I am stumped on them too. I do not need help remembering what a logarithm is or how to factor quadratic equations--I remember all that and find it extremely easy. I am just stumped on the types of problems mentioned above. If you know of some good books or a strategy I should follow then I would greatly appreciate your help. The fact that I cannot solve these problems but at one time successfully completed a calculus course (with an A) is very depressing. It literally keeps me up at night.

Thankyou in advance to anyone that replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In number 3, you have a right triangle which is half of an equilateral triangle (since the angles in any triangle must add to 180, if they are all equal they must be 60 degrees which is the angle given). That means that if we take the hypotenuse of that right triangle to be "x", the leg adjacent to the 60 degree angle is x/2. Calling the third side "y", by the Pythagorean we have (x/2)2+ y2= x2 so y2= x2- x2/4= (3/4)x2 and y= (√(3)/2)x. The ratio of those two sides, RO to OQ is (x/2)/y= 1/√(3)= √(3)/3, choice E. Of course, MO and OQ are the same- they are both radii of the same circle.
If you know trigonometry you could do that a little faster by using the fact that sin(60)= √(3)/2.

Thankyou HallsofIvy. The solution to that problem was much shorter than I thought it would be. I suppose now I'll go try harder on problem 7. I've gone a few steps into it so far but I think there's some triangle law I need to use to continue that I'm not aware of...

But I'm curious, do you (or anyone else) know of a good book I can read to relearn this stuff? I really want to find a book that can teach me to solve problems such as number 7 in my first post. If anyone could point me in the direction of such a book then that would be really great.

On #3, I used the later approach (trig) that HallsofIvy mentioned. I noticed that the side opposite to 60deg angle is QO and the side adjacent to same angle is RO. From trigonometry, the tangent (angle) = length of opposite side / length of adjacent side.
tan (60deg)= QO/RO.
I also noticed QO = MO,
therefore ---> tan (60deg) = MO/RO

The question asks, what is the length of RO/MO?
Looking at the above, we see, it is 1/[tan(60deg)]
If you recalled the trig values of common angles along the unit circle, you would have the cos(60deg) = 1/2 and sin(60deg) = √(3)/2.
property of tangent: tan = sin/cos,
so for this angle --> tan(60deg)= [√(3)/2]/[1/2]
we want the inverse 1/[tan(60deg)] = [1/2]/[√(3)/2] = 1/√(3) = √(3)/3 (Ans = E)
If you recalled trig function, cotangent you could have arrived at sol'n a little faster.

Last edited:
For help on #7, you probably want to do a review of geometry.
If you are just rusty on these concepts, this website can get you going ---> http://www.mathleague.com/help/geometry/geometry.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What does it mean to "get back in the groove"?

"Getting back in the groove" is a commonly used phrase that means returning to a state of productivity, efficiency, or focus after a period of being unproductive, distracted, or unfocused. It can also refer to re-establishing a routine or habit that was previously disrupted.

Why do people need to "get back in the groove"?

People may need to "get back in the groove" for various reasons, such as feeling unmotivated, experiencing a lack of focus or clarity, or being overwhelmed with tasks. External factors, such as changes in routine or a major life event, can also contribute to the need to get back in the groove.

How can someone "get back in the groove"?

There are different strategies that can help someone get back in the groove, depending on the individual and their situation. Some common methods include setting goals and creating a plan, prioritizing tasks, taking breaks and practicing self-care, seeking support or accountability from others, and finding ways to stay motivated and focused.

What are the benefits of "getting back in the groove"?

The benefits of getting back in the groove can include increased productivity, a sense of accomplishment, improved focus and clarity, reduced stress and overwhelm, and an overall feeling of being more in control of one's life and responsibilities. It can also lead to the establishment of healthy habits and routines that can contribute to long-term success and well-being.

How can "getting back in the groove" be maintained?

Maintaining a state of being "in the groove" can be challenging, as it requires ongoing effort and discipline. Some ways to maintain this state include regularly reassessing goals and priorities, staying organized and managing time effectively, practicing self-care and managing stress, and being open to adapting and adjusting as needed. It can also be helpful to regularly reflect on one's progress and celebrate successes along the way.