Question on Endo/Exothermic reactions

• Thread starter !Live_4Ever!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary: Chemical reactions are when substances combine to form new substances. Physical reactions are when substances move.
!Live_4Ever!
Hi, I was doing a small experiment in class today, which was on Endo and Exothermic reactions. Basically, the purpose of this expieriment was to find out which systems underwent exothermic or endothermic reactions. 3 systems had been tested, and here are as follows...
1) Reaction between Steel wool and oxygen gas
2) Reaction between Ammonium chloride and Water
3) Reaction between "Drano" (a type of clog remover) and water

Result
1) - Temp of oxygen gas went up, and condensed
2) - Temperature went slightly down, and the NH4 Cl was completely dissolved
3) - Temperature went up, silver chunks of Drano turned black, and blue foams formed on top
So this is all my data..
My questions are, which ones are endothermic and exothermic reactions, and which ones are chemical and physical changes and why...
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, I actually did this last year...that's a shocker.:rofl: If remember correctly...

Endothermic- Describes processes that absorb heat energy.
Exothermic- Describes processes that release heat energy.

In exothermic reactions the temperature goes up, in endothermic reactions the temperature goes down.

1. Exothermic
2. Endothermic
3. Exothermic

Although, I'd have to suggest waiting to see what someone else says since I'm afraid to say "take my word for it".:tongue2:

Endothermic- Describes processes that absorb heat energy.
Exothermic- Describes processes that release heat energy.
Correct.

An exothermic reaction would produce a temperature increase, an endothermic reaction a temperature decrease.

There are three reactions here:

1. Oxidation, the Fe wool ignites (oxidizes) in oxygen
2. Dissolution - NH4Cl dissolves in water
3. Hydration - anhydrous salt reacts with water

Which one(s) is(are) chemical or physical, and why. Perhaps one can write the definition of chemical and physical reactions.

Whoo! thanks a bunch guys, I hope I did well in my lab.. but he's gona be like: "Oh.. I don't like that font, 10% off...No hyphen there.. 20% off...and oh, another 45% off because I don't like you.." :'(

1. What is the difference between endothermic and exothermic reactions?

Endothermic reactions absorb heat energy from the surroundings, causing the temperature to decrease. Exothermic reactions release heat energy into the surroundings, causing the temperature to increase.

2. How can I determine if a reaction is endothermic or exothermic?

One way to determine if a reaction is endothermic or exothermic is to measure the change in temperature of the surroundings. If the temperature increases, it is an exothermic reaction, and if the temperature decreases, it is an endothermic reaction.

3. What are some examples of endothermic and exothermic reactions?

Endothermic reactions include melting ice, evaporation of water, and photosynthesis. Exothermic reactions include burning wood, rusting of iron, and respiration.

4. How do endothermic and exothermic reactions relate to energy?

Endothermic reactions require energy to be absorbed in order to occur, while exothermic reactions release energy. Endothermic reactions have a positive change in energy (ΔH), while exothermic reactions have a negative change in energy.

5. Can a reaction be both endothermic and exothermic?

No, a reaction can only be either endothermic or exothermic. However, some reactions may have both an endothermic and exothermic step, resulting in an overall change in energy that is either positive or negative.