Simple differential eqn's question

In summary, the differential equation for the volume of a spherical raindrop as a function of time, given that it evaporates at a rate proportional to its surface area, is dV/dt = -kV^(2/3), where k is a positive constant. The constant of proportionality k includes all other numerical values in the equation.
DWill

Homework Statement

A spherical raindrop evaporates at a rate proportional to its surface area. Write a differential equation for the volume of the raindrop as a function of time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is dV/dt = -kV^(2/3), for some k > 0.

I don't really understand this answer. The question states the volume changes at a rate proportional to its surface area (A = 4*pi*r^2), but it seems from the answer it depends on volume V. Can someone help me understand how to get to this answer? And how do I know there is a constant k in there too? The problem never states it.. am I just supposed to know this somehow?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
DWill said:

Homework Statement

A spherical raindrop evaporates at a rate proportional to its surface area. Write a differential equation for the volume of the raindrop as a function of time.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is dV/dt = -kV^(2/3), for some k > 0.

I don't really understand this answer. The question states the volume changes at a rate proportional to its surface area (A = 4*pi*r^2), but it seems from the answer it depends on volume V. Can someone help me understand how to get to this answer? And how do I know there is a constant k in there too? The problem never states it.. am I just supposed to know this somehow?

Thanks!

I've bolded the key phrases in the question.

To see where 'k' comes from, you need to understand what 'proportional to' means. For example, if I tell you 'y' is proportional to 'x', it could mean that [itex]y=2x[/itex] or [itex]y=-7489327x[/itex] or [itex]y=\sqrt{\pi}x[/itex]; you don't know what the constant of proportionality is (unless otherwise told), so you usually just call it [itex]k[/itex] (or some other letter) so that [itex]y=kx[/itex]

The next key phrase tells you that you should try to express the surface area of the sphere (and the entire differential equation!) in terms of the volume, not the radius.

So, if [itex]A=4\pi r^2[/itex] and [itex]V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/itex], then [itex]A[/itex] in terms of [itex]V[/itex] is____?

Thanks for the reply
Hm, then V = (1/3)*r*A, right? or A = 3V/r

where do you go from there?

If the volume changes with time, then so does the radius. So to make a DE that involves only the Volume (and constants) you should eliminate 'r'.

If [itex]V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/itex], then r=___? So A=___?

r = (3V / 4pi)^(1/3), and A = 4*pi*(3V / 4pi)^(2/3) ?

Yup, and since the volume decreases proportional to the surface area, you also know that

[itex]\frac{dV}{dt}=-kA[/itex] for some unknown, positive k (the negative sign and the restriction on k guarantees that the drop loses volume instead of gaining it.

So...dV/dt in terms of volume is?

OK so I see where the V^(2/3) comes from now, does that mean the rest of the numbers (constants) before it are included in the proportionality constant k?

Yup, exactly :smile:

1. What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and one or more of its derivatives. It describes how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables.

2. What are the different types of simple differential equations?

There are several types of simple differential equations, including separable, homogeneous, exact, and linear. Each type has its own specific characteristics and methods for solving.

3. How do you solve a simple differential equation?

The method for solving a simple differential equation depends on its type. Generally, the first step is to separate the variables and then integrate both sides of the equation. If the equation is linear, it can be solved using an integrating factor. Homogeneous equations can be solved using a substitution method, while exact equations can be solved using an integrating factor or method of finding a potential function.

4. What are some real-world applications of simple differential equations?

Simple differential equations are used to model and predict changes in various natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and simple harmonic motion. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to study systems and their behavior over time.

5. What is the difference between a simple differential equation and a partial differential equation?

A simple differential equation involves a single independent variable, such as time, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Simple differential equations can be solved using basic integration techniques, while partial differential equations often require more advanced methods such as separation of variables and Fourier series.