Alpha, Beta, Gamma , neutron ray, which one is harmful?

In summary: The type of radiation emitted by a radioactive substance at a given time is generally not predictable. The only thing that can be predicted is how a large group of atoms will decay over time. Even for a single atom, the timing of its decay is unpredictable. It is impossible to predict which atom will decay next."In summary, the conversation discusses the decision of minimizing the danger of radioactive exposure when given four cookies emitting different rays: alpha, beta, gamma, and neutron. After considering the properties of each ray, it is concluded that the most dangerous ray is the alpha ray, followed by beta and gamma. The neutron ray's danger is uncertain due to its unpredictable decay.
Nope

Homework Statement

If you were given 4 cookies, each emitter different ray
1)Alpha, 2)Beta,3) Gamma , 4)neutron
You have to make decision of the following:
a)eat one of the cookies
b)dispose one of the cookies at storage facility called WHIP
c)put one of the cookies in your pocket
d)hold one of the cookies
the decision you make must minimize the danger of radioactive exposure to yourself.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)d 2)c 3)a 4)b
Am i right?
I'm not sure 3 and 4, since human mostly made of water, and neutron cannot penetrate water, so i guess gamma ray would be better to eat.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not very good at Physics, but from Chemistry I know that you definately do not want to be eating gamma rays.

Jimbo113453 said:
I'm not very good at Physics, but from Chemistry I know that you definately do not want to be eating gamma rays.

Yes,gamma ray is the most dangerous, but alpha and beta ray is much more dangerous in our body, because both ray cannot penetrate through our tissue. So, it cannot be a). It is either 3 or 4.

Anyone?,I need this today...

Thanks!

Think of alpha rays as slow, but very big, dump trucks moving down an alley filled with items spaced randomly.

Think of gamma rays as a very fast, but small and narrow, motorcycle moving down the same alley.

Which one will hit the most items?
The big dump truck is going to smash through just about everything in the alley.
The motorcycle is only going to hit the items directly in the center (path of the bike)

Think of the "items" as cells in your body

*The dump truck is going to kill the most cells*

Troponin said:
Think of alpha rays as slow, but very big, dump trucks moving down an alley filled with items spaced randomly.

Think of gamma rays as a very fast, but small and narrow, motorcycle moving down the same alley.

The big dump truck is going to smash through just about everything in the alley.
The motorcycle is only going to hit the items directly in the center (path of the bike)

Yes, I understand, but i not sure about neutron ray...

Nope said:
Yes, I understand, but i not sure about neutron ray...

What kind of vehicle would the neutron ray be? If it's just a ray of individual neutrons, it would be a "car" in this scenario.

Troponin said:

Are you sure about that? You're working under the assumption that they all make it through the alley. Don't Alpha particles just get blocked at the skin? Isn't there a question of penetration depth to be taken into account here?

Are you absolutely sure? I always thought the opposite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation

1. What are the differences between Alpha, Beta, and Gamma rays?

Alpha, Beta, and Gamma rays are all types of electromagnetic radiation. Alpha rays consist of two protons and two neutrons and have the lowest energy and penetration power. Beta rays are high-speed electrons and possess higher energy and penetration power compared to Alpha rays. Gamma rays have the highest energy and penetration power and are considered the most dangerous.

2. Which type of ray is the most harmful to humans?

Gamma rays are considered the most harmful to humans due to their high energy and ability to penetrate the body. Exposure to high levels of Gamma rays can cause severe damage to cells and tissues, leading to radiation sickness, cancer, and even death.

3. Are all types of rays harmful?

No, not all types of rays are harmful. Alpha and Beta rays can be blocked by a piece of paper or clothing, and even the outer layer of our skin can protect us from them. However, exposure to high levels of any type of radiation can be dangerous and should be avoided.

4. Can exposure to neutron rays be harmful?

Yes, exposure to neutron rays can be harmful, just like any other type of radiation. Neutron rays are released during nuclear reactions and have high energy and penetration power. They can cause severe damage to cells and tissues, leading to radiation sickness and other health problems.

5. How can we protect ourselves from harmful radiation?

There are various ways to protect ourselves from harmful radiation, such as limiting exposure, using shielding materials, and following safety protocols when working with radioactive materials. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations to minimize the risk of exposure to harmful radiation.