Where can I buy platinum wire?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a specific type of wire needed for a hydrogen fuel cell project. The person mentions the urgency of needing the wire before Monday and the preference for purchasing it from a brick and mortar store. However, they acknowledge the possibility of having to order it online and pay for overnight shipping. They also consider the option of purchasing the wire from a jeweler, but question the purity of the wire for their project.
Null_
I need to have it before Monday, so preferably a brick and mortar store. I live in the States.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd guess unless you live in a big town, google it and have it shipped 'next day'

Sounds like a specialty item you're not likely to find in a brick and mortar store (and if you did, you'd probably still be paying for that shipping cost in the price of the item).

Do you think a jeweler might carry it? Probably cheaper to just pay for overnight shipping, though. And I don't know if the type used for jewelry would be the same purity as you'd need for your project.

There are several options for purchasing platinum wire in the United States. One option is to visit a local laboratory supply store or a specialty metal supplier. These types of stores often carry a variety of wires, including platinum, and may have the option for same-day pickup. Another option is to visit a jewelry supply store, as platinum wire is commonly used in jewelry making. You may also want to consider checking with a university or research institution in your area, as they may have a supply of platinum wire available for purchase. If you are unable to find a brick and mortar store that carries platinum wire, there are also several reputable online retailers that offer fast shipping options. It is important to make sure that the wire you purchase is of high quality and suitable for your specific needs.

1. What is the best place to buy platinum wire?

The best place to buy platinum wire would be from a reputable supplier or manufacturer. You can also check with local jewelry stores or online retailers that specialize in selling precious metals.

2. How much does platinum wire cost?

The cost of platinum wire can vary depending on the supplier, quantity, and purity of the wire. On average, platinum wire can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 per gram.

3. Can I purchase platinum wire in different sizes?

Yes, you can purchase platinum wire in various sizes, ranging from thin wires as small as 0.1mm to larger diameters of 5mm or more. The size you need will depend on your specific application.

4. Is platinum wire available in different purities?

Yes, platinum wire is available in different purities, with the most common being 99.95% pure. However, you can also find higher purity options, such as 99.99% or even 99.999% pure platinum wire.

5. Can I buy platinum wire in bulk?

Yes, many suppliers offer platinum wire in bulk quantities, such as rolls or spools, for industrial or scientific purposes. You may need to contact the supplier directly to inquire about bulk pricing and availability.