Simplex Method Giving Right Solution, Wrong Value (REPOST)

In summary, the user correctly solved the linear program using the simplex method and identified the optimal solution as (0,1/4,13/4) with an optimal objective value of 41/4. However, when inserting this solution into the objective function, they did not take into account the constraints of the problem, resulting in a different optimal objective value. The actual optimal objective value is 10, as stated in the textbook, due to the non-feasibility of the solution.
dane502
Two days ago I posted a similar post in the "Calculus & Beyond Forum", but I guess that this forum is more appropriate - any admin should correct me if I am wrong..

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve the follwing linear program

[tex]
\max \qquad 4x_1+x_2+3x_3
[/tex]
[tex]
\text{s.t }\qquad x_1+4x_2\qquad\,\leq1
[/tex]
[tex]
\text{ }\qquad \quad3x_1-x_2+x_3\leq3
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the simplex method and a tableau (negated objective function in the last row, right-hand side of constraints in the last column)
[tex]

\begin{matrix}
\textcircled{1}&4&0&1&0&1\\
3&-1&1&0&1&3\\\hline
-4&-2&-3&0&0&0
\end{matrix}
\rightarrow
\begin{matrix}
1&4&0&1&0&1\\
0&-13&\textcircled{1}&-3&1&0\\\hline
0&14&-3&4&0&4
\end{matrix}
\rightarrow
\begin{matrix}
1&\textcircled{4}&0&1&0&1\\
0&-13&1&-3&1&0\\\hline
0&-25&0&-5&3&4
\end{matrix}
\rightarrow
\begin{matrix}
1/4&1&0&1/4&0&1/4\\
13/4&0&1&1/4&1&13/4\\\hline
25/4&0&0&5/4&3&41/4
\end{matrix}

[/tex]

From which I conclude that the optimal objective value is 41/4
and the optimal solution is (0,1/4,13/4).

Inserting the optimal solution in the objective function does NOT yield 41/4.
It yields 10. I know from the textbook that the correct answer is 10, so my solution is correct. Can anyone explain then why my objective value in the tableau is not?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting this problem in our forum. The problem you have presented is indeed a linear program, and the simplex method is an appropriate method to solve it. Your approach and calculations are correct, and you have correctly identified the optimal solution as (0,1/4,13/4) with an optimal objective value of 41/4.

However, when you insert this solution into the objective function, you are not taking into account the constraints of the problem. The objective function is only optimized when all constraints are satisfied. In this case, when you insert the solution into the objective function, you are not taking into account the constraint x1+4x2≤1.

To find the actual optimal objective value, you need to check if the solution satisfies all constraints. In this case, the solution (0,1/4,13/4) does not satisfy the first constraint x1+4x2≤1, which means that it is not a feasible solution. Therefore, the actual optimal objective value is 10, as stated in the textbook.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the discrepancy between your calculated optimal objective value and the textbook's stated optimal objective value. Keep up the good work and keep practicing solving linear programs!

1. What is the Simplex Method?

The Simplex Method is a mathematical algorithm used to solve linear programming problems. It involves repeatedly solving systems of linear equations to find the optimal solution to a problem.

2. How does the Simplex Method give the right solution?

The Simplex Method works by starting at an initial feasible solution and then systematically improving it until the optimal solution is reached. It ensures that the solution is feasible and satisfies all constraints.

3. What could cause the Simplex Method to give a wrong value?

There are a few potential reasons for the Simplex Method to give a wrong value, such as errors in the original problem formulation, incorrect inputs, or mistakes in the implementation of the algorithm. It is important to double check all inputs and steps in the solution process to ensure accuracy.

4. How can I troubleshoot a Simplex Method solution that gives a wrong value?

If the Simplex Method is giving a wrong value, it is important to carefully review all inputs and steps in the solution process. Check for any errors in the problem formulation, double check the initial feasible solution, and carefully follow the steps of the algorithm to identify any potential mistakes.

5. Is it possible for the Simplex Method to give a wrong value even if all inputs and steps are correct?

While it is rare, there are cases where the Simplex Method may give a wrong value even if all inputs and steps are correct. This can happen if the problem is extremely large or complex, or if there are degenerate solutions. In these cases, it is best to consult with a mathematical expert for further analysis and potential solutions.