What can I do with an old swing set in my garden area?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, Don fixed his pickup trucks, ordered the steel for the roof of his old swing set frame, and is now working on installing it.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I didn't know what to do with the old swing set now that my daughter is grown, but I was tired of mowing around it and decided to remove it and use part of it as a frame for a shed. I don't have much room to store my garden implements so I'm building this in my garden area.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36290&stc=1&d=1307666930.jpg

Inside view of the swing-set frame. Work in progress.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36291&stc=1&d=1307666930.jpg

Back view (unfinished, will have small window for light).

attachment.php?attachmentid=36292&stc=1&d=1307666930.jpg

I'm going to put heavier gauge steel on the roof and a gravel? floor.

Attachments

• swingbld_1.jpg
    swingbld_1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 862
  • swingbld_3.jpg
    swingbld_3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 798
  • swingbld_4.jpg
    swingbld_4.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 915
Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty neat, dlg. It's a great way to re-purpose materials.

Nice job Don.

When my daughter out grew her playhouse she made me buy it from her to use as a storage shed.

When she was eight I told her that it was hers and all hers forever. When she was 18 she still saw it that way.:biggrin:

I can't believe it's been a month since starting this thread, but since I've fixed my old pickup trucks breaks to hall material, I was able to order the heavier gauge steel for the roof. Today I picked it up and worked in the sun installing it. I should take pictures of my sunburn. The reflection from this new steel got the front of me, which was white until today. Now all I can do is drink beer for the pain.

edward said:
Nice job Don.

When my daughter out grew her playhouse she made me buy it from her to use as a storage shed.

When she was eight I told her that it was hers and all hers forever. When she was 18 she still saw it that way.:biggrin:

lol:rofl:

edward said:
Nice job Don.

QuarkCharmer said:
lol:rofl:

Oh. I should have made a reply to edward.

My daughter took the pictures and knows it's hers; in part. And I'm paying and will be for several years to come.

1. How do I choose the best location for my swing-set building/shed?

The best location for your swing-set building/shed would be on a level, well-drained area. This will ensure stability and prevent water damage. It is also important to consider any local regulations or restrictions before choosing a location.

2. What materials are best for building a swing-set building/shed?

The most common and durable materials for swing-set buildings/sheds are wood, metal, and vinyl. Each material has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it is important to consider your specific needs and budget before making a decision.

3. Do I need a building permit to construct a swing-set building/shed?

In most cases, yes, you will need a building permit to construct a swing-set building/shed. This may vary depending on your location and the size of your structure. It is important to check with your local government or building department for specific regulations.

4. How can I make my swing-set building/shed more weather resistant?

To make your swing-set building/shed more weather resistant, you can use weather-resistant materials such as pressure-treated wood, metal roofing, and waterproof sealants. It is also important to regularly maintain and repair any damages to prevent further weather damage.

5. Can I add electricity to my swing-set building/shed?

Yes, you can add electricity to your swing-set building/shed. However, it is important to consult a professional electrician to ensure proper installation and safety. You may also need to acquire permits and follow building codes for electrical work.