Bought Orion AstroView 90mm, good?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter CowedbyWisdom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    orion
In summary: Regarding spotting Andromeda Galaxy, the best way is to use a wide angle eyepiece like the Meade SWA 28 or 34mm (used). You'll be able to see the galaxy as a faint fuzzy patch. You might also be able to see some smudges on the screen of the star diagonal. If you're having trouble seeing either of those things, try a minus violet filter or the Baader Contrast Booster which is also a fine Mars filter.
Astronomy news on Phys.org

CowedbyWisdom said:
Hey ya'll. I just ordered up this telescope and am waiting for it to come in the mail now.
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Refractor-Telescopes/Refracto thatr-Telescopes-with-Equatorial-Mounts/Orion-AstroView-90mm-Equatorial-Refractor-Telescope/pc/1/c/10/sc/335/p/9024.uts
What do you guys think? Any good? I thought 90mm was pretty big for a refractor. What do you think i'll be able tback o see best with this?
90 mm is OK if the optics are good. My finder scope is 90 mm and my main scope is 150 mm. I'll take the 90 mm Vernonscope out on the deck from time to time. In these dark skies, you can pick up a lot of faint objects with 90 mm.

I should mention that the mount illustrated in the ad is very light. If the wind is very light or non-existent, you can probably squeak by, but you might have to stiffen that mount somehow. Good luck.

Thanks I appreciate the advice! What would you suggest I do to stiffen up the legs? Do you think velcro ankle weights would do the trick?

For a first scope that's a good choice. My first was the standard 60mm x 900mm. With your larger lens, you'll get brighter and higher resolution images. Manual equatorial is also a good choice, but make sure you really put in the effort required to learn to use it properly. It makes observing a lot easier and you'll also learn about the sky more.

Regarding stiffening the legs, I don't consider that a priority. Yes, it may help but you've got a lot of other fish to fry before that becomes a significant issue for you. Heck, my rig weighs 150 lb and I still find the best way to keep it steady is simply not to touch it when looking through it.

Turbo is right about the mount being very light for that scope. My son's C4 (Celestron 102mm f9.4) refractor sits on a CG-4 very stably. That is likely http://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=21&stype=1&si=CG-4 for your scope. You can modify the legs of your CG-2 as was described here if you want to try that first. It is a great modification to replace those aluminum legs with wooden ones and it requires very little in the way of tools. (drill, sandpaper, rasp or jigsaw, adjustable wrenches) It's not necessary to replace the round stainless steel legs that come with the new CG-4 mount.

You may find that the view bounces around in a light breeze and blame the legs for that. What I have found with lightweight mounts and long tube scopes is that the backlash on the RA is the biggest culprit and that can't be addressed by stiffening the legs. You can help it a bit by tightening the mesh on the pinion/RA gear and eliminating as much as possible the pinion axis play (thrust-type play). Diagnose the play by placing your fingers on the pinion axis and slightly tap the OTA. You will definitely feel the play.

90 mm is a pretty nice apeture for grab and go and the 1000mm focal length is the sweet spot for pretty good magnification and moderately wide field. You should be able to have great lunar and planetary views as well as globular clusters and double stars. With wide angle eyepieces like the Meade SWA 28 or 34mm (used) you will have fantastic views of globulars, larger nebula like M-42 and most of the open clusters like the Pleiades or the Double Cluster. You might find that there is a little purple color at high magnification for bright objects but that can largely be eliminated with a minus violet filter or the Baader Contrast Booster which is also a fine Mars filter.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I have gotten pretty good at finding stuff with the telescope. So far I have seen Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Pleiades, Luna (can't wait for the harvest moon), Vega, Deneb, Altair, Aldebaran, Polaris (obviously), and a few others I don't know the names of yet.
I just ordered a 3x Barlow and a Nebula Filter from Orion. I'm hoping that these will allow me to see Andromeda Galaxy. Does anyone have any advice for spotting Andromeda Galaxy? Also I believe I can see some smudges on the screen of the star diagonal. Anyone have any tips on cleaning that bit? Also could ya'll give me some advice on which one of these Orthoscopics is better?
http://agenaastro.com/kokusai-kohki-japanese-orthoscopic-eyepiece-7mm.html
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p624_Orthoskopisches-Okular-7mm-Brennweite---1-25----Kasai.html
All your advice is appreciated!

-Jack

CowedbyWisdom said:
Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I have gotten pretty good at finding stuff with the telescope. So far I have seen Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Pleiades, Luna (can't wait for the harvest moon), Vega, Deneb, Altair, Aldebaran, Polaris (obviously), and a few others I don't know the names of yet.
I just ordered a 3x Barlow and a Nebula Filter from Orion. I'm hoping that these will allow me to see Andromeda Galaxy. Does anyone have any advice for spotting Andromeda Galaxy? Also I believe I can see some smudges on the screen of the star diagonal. Anyone have any tips on cleaning that bit? Also could ya'll give me some advice on which one of these Orthoscopics is better?
http://agenaastro.com/kokusai-kohki-japanese-orthoscopic-eyepiece-7mm.html
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p624_Orthoskopisches-Okular-7mm-Brennweite---1-25----Kasai.html
All your advice is appreciated!

-Jack

The Andromeda Galaxy is huge. Much larger than the full moon but the outer edges are probably going to be difficult to see. You don't need any magnification to see it at all. The best view with your scope will be at 25 mm to 35 mm with as wide a field of view as you can get. The nebula filter won't work on the Andromeda Galaxy but it will work on planetary nebula like M27 or emission nebula like M42 in Orion. You really don't need one IMO.

I agree, aside from perhaps a moon filter, they are a waste of money for the vast majority of amateurs. The money is better spent on accessories like dielectric diagonals.

Chronos said:
I agree, aside from perhaps a moon filter, they are a waste of money for the vast majority of amateurs. The money is better spent on accessories like dielectric diagonals.

Hmm. I need a spectrograph!

CowedbyWisdom said:
...Does anyone have any advice for spotting Andromeda Galaxy? ... All your advice is appreciated!

-Jack

as chemisttree commented ... Andromeda galaxy is huge
you need a dark sky site ... that really helps. its easily visible naked eye
using a star map of the Pegasus and Andromeda constellations area you will easily find it doing some star hopping. I suggest using even low power binoculars say 7 x 50 before using the telescope

Once you find that, then you can move a bit into the Triangulum constellation
and have a look at M33 another large spiral galaxy. This one is face on to us and has
quite a low surface brightness but again a dark site and binoculars should be enough
to initially pick it out

cheers
Dave

1. Is the Orion AstroView 90mm a good choice for beginners?

Yes, the Orion AstroView 90mm is a great telescope for beginners. Its compact size and easy setup make it ideal for those new to astronomy.

2. What type of objects can I see with the Orion AstroView 90mm?

The Orion AstroView 90mm is a versatile telescope that can provide clear views of the moon, planets, and some deep-sky objects such as star clusters and galaxies.

3. How does the Orion AstroView 90mm perform for astrophotography?

The Orion AstroView 90mm is not specifically designed for astrophotography, but it can still produce decent images of the moon and planets. For more advanced astrophotography, a telescope with a larger aperture and specialized mount is recommended.

4. Can the Orion AstroView 90mm be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, the Orion AstroView 90mm can be used for both land and sky viewing. It comes with a 45-degree correct-image diagonal that allows for comfortable terrestrial viewing.

5. Does the Orion AstroView 90mm come with any accessories?

Yes, the Orion AstroView 90mm comes with two eyepieces (25mm and 10mm), a 6x30 finderscope, and a tripod. It also includes a star diagonal and a copy of the astronomy software "Starry Night Special Edition".