Why is Far Cry 3 running with such low FPS?

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fps
In summary, the game is extremely jittery and barely playable on a $3,000 enthusiast gaming PC with multiple graphics cards.
Kutt
I'm probably getting 10-15 fps in Far Cry 3. The game is extremely jittery and barely playable.

I even tried turning down the graphics settings to the lowest possible and I still have the problem.

I have a $3,000 enthusiast gaming PC with multiple graphics cards.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Kutt said:
I'm probably getting 10-15 fps in Far Cry 3. The game is extremely jittery and barely playable.

I even tried turning down the graphics settings to the lowest possible and I still have the problem.

I have a $3,000 enthusiast gaming PC with multiple graphics cards.

That is disappointing. Sounds like bad programming. Guess you'll have to wait for a patch or two.

Greg Bernhardt said:
That is disappointing. Sounds like bad programming. Guess you'll have to wait for a patch or two.

Dual SLI GTX 680's (my PC) should max out this game and still get over 60FPS.

Kutt said:
Dual SLI GTX 680's (my PC) should max out this game and still get over 60FPS.

Have you tried playing in single gpu mode?

Doing a bit of googling uncovers some issues with farcry 3 and dual gpu set ups.

trollcast said:
Have you tried playing in single gpu mode?

Doing a bit of googling uncovers some issues with farcry 3 and dual gpu set ups.

Could it be an issue with micro-stuttering?

A friend of mine recently pointed out that some games do better if you turn off "core parking" as well. This is a feature built into modern processors that's similar to the HLT instruction, but per-core, which windows uses to save power when a core has no load.

Some games create workloads that confuse the parking algorithm causing it to turn parking off and on repeatedly for a core, resulting in stuttering.

This is the worst micro-stuttering and frame skipping problem I have ever experiences in a PC game.

I certainly hope ubisoft is aware of this problem and releases a patch to fix it.

1. Why is my FPS (frames per second) so low in Far Cry 3?

There could be several reasons for low FPS in Far Cry 3. It could be due to the game's high system requirements, outdated hardware, or conflicting software. It could also be caused by incorrect graphics settings or a lack of optimization in the game itself.

2. Can outdated hardware be the cause of low FPS in Far Cry 3?

Yes, outdated hardware can definitely be a contributing factor to low FPS in Far Cry 3. The game requires a powerful processor, graphics card, and a good amount of RAM to run smoothly. If your hardware does not meet the minimum requirements, it can result in lower FPS and poor performance.

3. How can I improve my FPS in Far Cry 3?

There are a few things you can try to improve your FPS in Far Cry 3. First, make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. You can also try lowering the graphics settings in the game to reduce the strain on your hardware. Closing any unnecessary background processes and freeing up system resources can also help improve FPS.

4. Is there a way to optimize Far Cry 3 for better performance?

Yes, there are a few ways to optimize Far Cry 3 for better performance. You can try adjusting the graphics settings to find the right balance between performance and visual quality. Some players also recommend using third-party software to optimize game settings. Additionally, keeping your hardware and drivers updated can also help improve performance.

5. Can conflicting software affect FPS in Far Cry 3?

Yes, conflicting software can cause performance issues in Far Cry 3. Make sure to close any unnecessary programs or background processes before launching the game. Some antivirus or firewall software may also interfere with the game's performance, so you may need to whitelist Far Cry 3 or temporarily disable these programs while playing.