Continuum Mechanics - Deformation gradient

In summary: The kronecker delta is introduced when substituting the dot product of the vectors dXi and dxi etc. in order to get the next equation. It is only a dummy and does not really matter since if B ≠ a then δAB = 0.
tricha122
Hi all,

I am trying to self-learn continuum mechanics, and I have a question regarding the development of the deformation gradient (which ultimately leads to green's deformation tensor).

I have attached the specifics of the question in a attached photo.

Ultimately, there comes a point when determining the deformation using the change in magnitude of the square of dX and dx:

dx^2 - dX^2 = dxidxi-dXadXa

However, somehow using a previous equation (dxi = xi,adXa) and the susbtitution property of the kronecker delta, they come up with:

dx^2 - dX^2 = xi,adXa*xi,bdXb - delta(ab)*dXa*dXb

My question is - how was the kronecker delta substituted in? There is no direction associated with magnitudes. Further - where did the subscript "B" come from and what does it represent physically?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Continuum Mechanics - Deformation Gradient.png
    Continuum Mechanics - Deformation Gradient.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 596
Physics news on Phys.org
First the subscript B is introduced as part of the kronecker delta, δij or δAB here.

It is only a dummy and does not really matter since if B ≠ a then δAB = 0

Which brings us to why the kronecker?

Well this is a way of writing the dot product of the vectors dXi and dxi etc.

Don't forget that the quantities in this diagram are vectors so additions and multiplicasions are vector additions and multiplications.

Studiot said:
First the subscript B is introduced as part of the kronecker delta, δij or δAB here.

It is only a dummy and does not really matter since if B ≠ a then δAB = 0

Which brings us to why the kronecker?

Well this is a way of writing the dot product of the vectors dXi and dxi etc.

Don't forget that the quantities in this diagram are vectors so additions and multiplicasions are vector additions and multiplications.

Thank you for your response. However, I still am trying to wrap my head around the introduction of a new variable.

After substiuting out dXa,

(dx)^2 - (dX)^2 = (xi,a*xi,a - 1)*dXa*dXa

how does the kronecker delta substitute (dijej = ei) in here to get the next equation?

(dx^2) - (dX)^2 = (xi,a*xi,b - dab)*dXa*dXb

if a = b, then you get the previous equation.

If a =/ b, then you get

(dx^2) - (dX)^2 = (xi,a*xi,b)*dXa*dXb

which I am not sure what that means physically.

tricha122 said:
Thank you for your response. However, I still am trying to wrap my head around the introduction of a new variable.

After substiuting out dXa,

(dx)^2 - (dX)^2 = (xi,a*xi,a - 1)*dXa*dXa

how does the kronecker delta substitute (dijej = ei) in here to get the next equation?

(dx^2) - (dX)^2 = (xi,a*xi,b - dab)*dXa*dXb

if a = b, then you get the previous equation.

If a =/ b, then you get

(dx^2) - (dX)^2 = (xi,a*xi,b)*dXa*dXb

which I am not sure what that means physically.

Further, Cab = xi,a*xi,b = F^t * F confusing me even further suggesting that xi,a xi,b are the transpose of each other when a=b.

You realize, of course, that the Einstein summation convention is being used here. Thus,

[tex]dX_adX_a=\delta_{a,b}dX_adX_b=(dX_1)^2 +(dX_2)^2 +(dX_3)^2[/tex]

In tensorial notation, δi,j are the components of the identity tensor (aka, unit tensor or metric tensor) I.

It is often more revealing to write these equations in dyadic tensor notation. Let dx represent a differential position vector between two material points in the deformed configuration of the body, and let dX represent the differential position vector between these same two material points prior to the deformation. The vectors dx and dX can be related to one another in terms of the deformation gradient tensor F:

[tex]\mathbf{dx}=\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{dX}[/tex]

The squared length of the vector dx in the deformed configuration of the body can be determined by taking the dot product of dx with itself:

[tex]\mathbf{dx}\cdot\mathbf{dx}=\mathbf{dX}\cdot (\mathbf {F^T}\cdot\mathbf{F})\cdot\mathbf{dX}[/tex]

The change in the squared length of the differential position vector between the two material points in the deformed and undeformed configurations of the body is given by:

[tex]\mathbf{dx}\cdot\mathbf{dx}-\mathbf{dX}\cdot\mathbf{dX} =\mathbf{dX}\cdot (\mathbf {F^T}\cdot\mathbf{F}-\mathbf{I})\cdot\mathbf{dX}[/tex]

The Cauchy-Green tensor is defined by:

[tex]\mathbf{C}=\mathbf {F^T}\cdot\mathbf{F}[/tex]

So [tex]\mathbf{dx}\cdot\mathbf{dx}-\mathbf{dX}\cdot\mathbf{dX} =\mathbf{dX}\cdot (\mathbf {C-I})\cdot\mathbf{dX}[/tex]

It is also possible to define the finite strain tensor E as:

[tex]2\mathbf{E}=\mathbf{C-I}[/tex]

I hope this helps.

Chet

1. What is the definition of a deformation gradient in continuum mechanics?

The deformation gradient is a mathematical tensor that describes the deformation of a material from its initial state to its current state. It is used to calculate the change in position of material points within a body due to deformation.

2. How is the deformation gradient related to the concept of strain in continuum mechanics?

The deformation gradient is directly related to the concept of strain. Strain is defined as the change in length of a material due to deformation, and the deformation gradient is used to calculate this change in length. It is, therefore, a fundamental concept in the study of continuum mechanics.

3. What is the difference between the deformation gradient and the displacement gradient?

The deformation gradient describes the change in position of material points within a body due to deformation, while the displacement gradient describes the change in displacement of material points. The deformation gradient takes into account the change in shape and orientation of the body, while the displacement gradient only considers the change in position.

4. How is the deformation gradient used in the analysis of solid mechanics problems?

The deformation gradient is used to calculate important quantities such as strain, stress, and strain energy in solid mechanics problems. It is also used in the formulation of governing equations for the deformation of materials, such as the Navier's equations of motion and the Euler-Lagrange equations.

5. Can the deformation gradient be expressed in different coordinate systems?

Yes, the deformation gradient can be expressed in different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates. This allows for the analysis of deformation in different directions and orientations, making it a versatile tool in continuum mechanics.