Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point relative to previous points.

The problem is that this is EndPoint Smoothing which is special case which most smoothing algorithms do not address.EndPoint Smoothing is a specific type of smoothing that is not addressed by most algorithms. What would be perfect, would be to identify the harmonics of the finite, discrete time, aperiodic curve and simply let them establish the end point. DFT's end point constraint is unacceptable. DFT with a mirrored input... maybe...You suggest using the Fourier transform to identify the harmonics of the curve and use them to establish the end point. However, you also mention that the end point constraint of the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) is unacceptable. You propose using a mirrored input for the DFT, but
Cardinal Gramm
This is a prediction that is made every day.

If I do a back test assemble a curve composed of each days' prediction, I get fair results.

However, if I smooth this backtest curve, I get fantastic results.

So what I need to do is take today's prediction and the prediction time history leading up to today, and smooth today's prediction.

The problem is that this is EndPoint Smoothing which is special case which most smoothing algorithms do not address.

What would be perfect, would be to identify the harmonics of the finite, discrete time, aperiodic curve and simply let them establish the end point. DFT's end point constraint is unacceptable. DFT with a mirrored input... maybe...

Splines are just visual aids which do not really take into account signal content.

Butterworth is NG since need end points and padding is not representative of the signal content.

Kalman theoretically may work except that there is nothing really known about the system - it would be like using a Kalman to remove hiss from an audio signal (music, etc.) on-line without ANY delay.

I was thinking that something like Principal Component Analysis might somehow be used on a single input - of course it is intended to reduce the number of inputs(!)

My Inner Mad Scientist considered this Fourier mal-use:
  1. Take the 1st Fourier harmonic.
  2. Establish its phase by choosing the maximum correlation achieved by surveying lag.
  3. Compile a "response" curve for this maximal correlation for each of the Fourier terms.
  4. Pick a set of dominant harmonics below some smoothing frequency cutoff.
  5. Sum the harmonics with weights equal to the corrrelations.
  6. Confirm a nice fit over the curve interior.
  7. Use the end point value as the smoothed value.

I don't have the math at hand to demonstrate that my set of harmonics with "adjusted" phase would be orthogonal (can be linearly super positioned) or that the actual correlation coef would be the correct weighting factor - it may need processed into its square or normalized by standard deviation or some other "metric."

Oh, regarding Fourier Transforms, Discrete Time and Continuous, while aperiodic, they always use a signal that starts and stops at zero in examples. Same for Convolution. So I'm not sure what can be done with this.

It seems like the examples are finite length signals as opposed to continuous (infinite) signals for which you select some arbitrary interval to perform the FT.

I am not an electrical engineer but I suspect what I am trying to do may be extremely advanced because the only thing that I have encountered that seems like it would work is the Kalman and you better remember all your Controls Engineering to set that one up if you are lucky enough to have a model. The concept that a Kalman uses "all available information" is quite impressive and seriously overwhealming.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I suggest you make another attempt to state the question.

Cardinal Gramm said:
However, if I smooth this backtest curve, I get fantastic results.

What is the "backtest curve" and what "results" are you talking about?

So what I need to do is take today's prediction and the prediction time history leading up to today, and smooth today's prediction.

You say you have smoothed one type of curve (the "backtest curve") and yet you ask about how to smooth a different type of curve and dismiss various techniques for smoothing it. It is unclear why whatever technique you are using on the "backtest curve" isn't applicable to the second type of curve.

1. What is a Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point?

A Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point is a data point that is predicted or estimated using mathematical techniques such as smoothing algorithms. It is used to forecast future trends or values based on historical data.

2. How is a Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point different from other forecasting methods?

A Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point differs from other forecasting methods in that it uses smoothing techniques to eliminate noise and fluctuations in the data, providing a more accurate prediction of future values.

3. What is the purpose of comparing Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point to previous points?

The purpose of comparing Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point to previous points is to evaluate the accuracy of the forecast and to identify any potential errors or discrepancies. This helps to improve the forecasting model and make more accurate predictions in the future.

4. How is the Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point calculated?

The Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point is calculated using mathematical techniques such as exponential smoothing, moving averages, or other smoothing algorithms. These methods use historical data to identify patterns and trends, and then use them to predict future values.

5. Can Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point be used for all types of data?

Yes, Must On-Line Smooth Forecasted Point can be used for all types of data as long as there is enough historical data available. However, it may not be suitable for data with extreme outliers or sudden changes in trends, as it relies on the assumption of a gradual and smooth change over time.