Which solvent is best for dissolving graphene flakes?

In summary, graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice and is known for its thinness, strength, and conductivity. It can be dissolved in solvents such as water, ethanol, and NMP, but not in non-polar solvents like hexane or toluene due to its polar nature. The behavior of graphene in different solvents is influenced by its unique structure and the interactions between the solvent molecules and graphene surface. The choice of solvent can also impact the properties and stability of graphene dispersions, which is important for its use in various applications.
simsCity
Hi,

I got a graphene dispersion on ebay but the graphene flakes cumulated at the bottom of the bottle. I'm trying to mix it and then solve in water using an ultrasonic cleaner but the flakes do not dissolve in water? How can I dissolve it so that I can obtain a large scale graphene by dropping on a surface and then drying. What should I use to solve graphene flakes?

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is graphene?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is the thinnest, strongest, and most conductive material known to exist.

2. What solvents can be used to dissolve graphene?

The most commonly used solvents for dissolving graphene are water, ethanol, and N-methylpyrrolidone (NMP). However, other solvents such as acetone and isopropyl alcohol can also be used depending on the specific application.

3. How does graphene behave in different solvents?

Graphene has different properties in different solvents due to its unique structure and the interactions between the solvent molecules and the graphene surface. For example, in water, graphene tends to form stable dispersions, while in organic solvents such as NMP, it can dissolve completely.

4. Can graphene be dissolved in non-polar solvents?

No, graphene is not soluble in non-polar solvents such as hexane or toluene. This is because graphene is a highly polar material, and non-polar solvents do not have the ability to interact with its surface and break apart the strong bonds between its carbon atoms.

5. How do solvents affect the properties of graphene?

Solvents can affect the properties of graphene in different ways, such as changing its electrical conductivity, mechanical strength, and thermal stability. The choice of solvent can also affect the quality and stability of graphene dispersions, which is important for its use in various applications.