Understanding "Bumps & Teases" in News Programs

In summary, the conversation is about defining the terms "teaser" and "bump" in relation to a news program for a media technology class. A teaser is a segment designed to capture the interest of viewers, while a bump refers to the cost an advertiser must pay to secure a commercial spot that was previously sold to another advertiser at a lower rate.
chantella28
I have to analyze a news program for a media technology class, and it asks me about the bumps and teases... I've searched google but I can't seem to come up with a definition of what these terms mean, could anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
'Teaser' is likely a piece of a program designed to catch the interest of a viewer. - see http://advertising.utexas.edu/research/terms/

Not sure about bump - but this is from http://www.trentu.ca/trentradio/spon/spn_jarg.htm

Bump Rates - The costs that must be paid by an advertiser to secure a commercial position previously sold to another advertiser. To "bump" the previous advertiser, the new advertiser must pay a higher rate. However, the previous advertiser had to have (in most cases) purchased the slot at a "preemptible" rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can offer some insight into the concept of "bumps and teases" in news programs. These terms refer to the short segments or previews that are used to promote upcoming news stories or segments within a news program.

Bumps are typically brief clips or sound bites that are shown during commercial breaks or between segments to tease the audience about what is coming up next. They are designed to create anticipation and keep viewers engaged in the program. These can also be used to promote special reports or exclusive interviews that will be featured later in the program.

Teases, on the other hand, are longer segments that provide more information about the upcoming story or segment. They may include interviews, footage, or additional details about the story to entice viewers to stay tuned. Teases can also be used to create a sense of urgency or importance around a particular news story.

The use of bumps and teases in news programs is a common media strategy to keep viewers interested and informed about what is coming up next. They serve as a way to break up the program and add variety, while also promoting and highlighting important news stories. I hope this explanation helps you in your analysis of the news program for your media technology class.

What are "Bumps & Teases" in News Programs?

"Bumps & Teases" are short promotional segments that are used to tease upcoming stories or segments within a news program. They are typically shown before a commercial break to keep viewers engaged and interested in what is to come.

Why are "Bumps & Teases" used in News Programs?

"Bumps & Teases" are used to generate interest and anticipation for upcoming stories or segments. They help to keep viewers engaged and watching the program, as well as provide a brief preview of what is to come.

How do "Bumps & Teases" differ from regular commercials?

"Bumps & Teases" are different from regular commercials in that they are typically shorter in length and focus specifically on content within the news program. They are not paid advertisements, but rather promotional segments created by the news program itself.

Do "Bumps & Teases" always accurately reflect the upcoming stories or segments?

While the purpose of "Bumps & Teases" is to give viewers a preview of what is to come, they may not always accurately reflect the content of the upcoming stories or segments. This could be due to changes in breaking news or other factors that may affect the planned lineup of the news program.

Are "Bumps & Teases" used in all news programs?

Not all news programs use "Bumps & Teases", but they are a common practice in many news programs, especially those with longer segments or multiple stories. They are also more prevalent in live news programs where there may be breaking news or unexpected changes to the planned lineup.