Metallic Mirrors: E Field, Power Loss, Energy Loss at Optical Freqs

• Thread starter sachi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors
In summary, the conversation discusses showing the existence of an E field in a conductor and its decay according to the skin depth. The power lost per unit area in the conductor is also calculated and the physical implications of the results are questioned. It is suggested that the energy is continually transported through the conductor and the fractional energy loss at optical frequencies can be found. However, there is some confusion about the approximations made and the idea of a constant rate of power dissipation in the conductor.
sachi
We have to show that in a conductor an E field can exist but it decays according to the skin depth as follows:

Ex = Eo*exp[i(z/d - wt)exp(-z/d)

where d is the skin depth, w is the frequency etc.
I can answer this part. We are also asked to show that the power lost per unit area in this conductor is (H^2)/(2*sigma*d) where sigma is the conductivity. I got this answer by finding the H field, then taking the real parts of H and E, and finding the poynting vector and finding its average. I also set z=0.

I'm very confused about the physical results here, and am not too sure what approximations have been made. The result seems to indicate a constant rate of power dissipation in the conductor (i.e the energy just keeps flowing through the conductor) which contradicts the idea that the wave in the conductor is attenuated (and therefore absorbed). Was I therefore wrong in setting z=0 and perhaps have said that the result is only valid for z is v. small (i.e our result gives us the power dissipated at the surface, but this quickly gets absorbed by the conductor after a short distance), but we can still simplify the algebra by setting z=0 in our Poynting integrals?

Last of all we are asked to find the fractional energy loss at optical frequencies. If I was right about the energy being continually transported through the conductor, then the fractional loss is just the power lost per unit area in the conductor divided by the power incident from the vacuum (this will just be 1/2 * (H^2) *Z , where Z is the impedance of free space).

thanks very much for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the electromagnetic wave constantly delivers energy to the conductor. Since the conductor attenuates the field, the conductor must constantly carry off the dissipated energy.

by "constantly" carry off the energy, do you mean that if a particular quantity of energy (let's call it packet no. 1) enters the conductor, this packet of energy must continue flowing through the conductor until it reaches the other end, and not just that there is a constant flow of energy into the conductor from the surface?

1. What is the E field in metallic mirrors?

The E field, or electric field, refers to the force that a charged particle experiences in the presence of an electric field. In metallic mirrors, the E field is used to reflect light and create images.

2. How does the E field affect power loss in metallic mirrors?

The E field in metallic mirrors can cause power loss due to absorption of the electric field energy. This can lead to a decrease in the intensity of the reflected light.

3. What factors contribute to energy loss at optical frequencies in metallic mirrors?

The main factors that contribute to energy loss at optical frequencies in metallic mirrors are absorption, scattering, and reflection. Absorption occurs when the E field energy is converted to heat, while scattering and reflection result in a loss of energy from the mirror's surface.

4. How can energy loss at optical frequencies be minimized in metallic mirrors?

To minimize energy loss at optical frequencies, metallic mirrors are often coated with a thin layer of dielectric material. This helps to reduce the absorption and scattering of the E field energy and improve the reflectivity of the mirror.

5. What are some applications of metallic mirrors?

Metallic mirrors are commonly used in various optical systems, such as telescopes, microscopes, and lasers. They are also used in everyday objects like mirrors, car headlights, and solar panels. In addition, metallic mirrors play a crucial role in scientific research and experiments, such as in spectroscopy and microscopy techniques.