Need help protecting confidential documents with passwords?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for password protection for documents and folders, as well as the potential vulnerabilities of using the built-in protection in Microsoft Office. It is suggested that the best approach for protecting confidential documents is to not save them on a laptop at all, but instead store them on a computer or server with restricted access.
Lila
hey y'all

I need help putting passwords on documents, i.e. these documents CANNOT be opened unless the password is provided. This could also be for a folder.

Like I have documents in a folder, and I do not want anyone else to have access to this folder, I would therefore like to password protect access to this folder and if possible the files inside.
thanks!
:)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Who are you trying to protect the file from?

hahaha! :P from my little sister...

totally kidding, not anyone in particular, but some things are just private and confidential, like work documents.. and I many times let others use my laptop.

+ my laptop got stolen recently, also with a lot of confidential documents unprotected!

can u help me? :D

file->save as->tools->general options

thanks! :)

russ_watters said:
file->save as->tools->general options

I suppose that might slow down your little sister. Someone who's going to go after your data will (at least) have something as powerful as, say http://lastbit.com/excel/, or any of a number of other excel password cracking tools out there.

I don't know enough about excel or what the password protection actually does, but, considering their history on this, MS isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

I was curious, so I Googled: http://lastbit.com/rm_guaranteed.asp
If you’re curious: Guaranteed Recovery is the special sort of Brute Force Attack. Formerly in the USA there were serious legislative limitations on the exporting of strong encryption algorithms. Only encryption algorithms with key length up to 40 bit could be exported freely. That’s why Microsoft limited the strength of the Office encryption to 40 bit. Guaranteed Recovery performs a brute force attack on the internal 40 bit key instead of the original password. The 40 bit key length means that there are only 2^40 (about a trillion) possible combinations. It is possible to test them all in a reasonable amount of time.
So no, it isn't all that strong.

If your concern is protecting confidential documents from theft, the best approach is to not save them on a laptop at all. Confidential documents should be stored on a computer or server with restricted access.

1. How do I set a password for an Excel file?

To set a password for an Excel file, open the file and click on "File" in the top left corner. Then, click on "Info" and select "Protect Workbook." Choose "Encrypt with Password" and enter a password of your choice. Click "OK" to save the password.

2. Can I recover a forgotten password for an Excel file?

Unfortunately, there is no way to recover a forgotten password for an Excel file. It is recommended to keep a record of your passwords in a secure location to avoid being locked out of your files.

3. How do I remove a password from an Excel file?

To remove a password from an Excel file, open the file and enter the password when prompted. Then, click on "File" in the top left corner and select "Info." Choose "Protect Workbook" and select "Encrypt with Password." Delete the password from the text field and click "OK."

4. Can I set different passwords for different worksheets in an Excel file?

Yes, you can set different passwords for different worksheets in an Excel file by selecting "Protect Sheet" instead of "Protect Workbook." This will allow you to set a password for each individual worksheet within the same file.

5. Is there a way to bypass a password for an Excel file?

No, there is no way to bypass a password for an Excel file. If you are unable to enter the correct password, you will not be able to access the file. It is important to keep track of your passwords to avoid being locked out of your own files.