Solving Latex Problem With Fedora4 and EPS Files

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Boaboa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, to properly view and convert files for your research, you can use the dvipdf command to convert DVI files to PDF, install the kdvi command through your system's package manager, use the epsfig package to include EPS files in your LaTeX document, ensure that Ghostscript is installed on your system, and convert EPS files to a different format if necessary. I hope these tips help you overcome any challenges you may be facing. Happy researching!
Boaboa
I would like to read dvi file after I platex the tex file. I also need to change it into pdf also
But the problem is I don't the command for dvi file use except kdvi and there seems tobe no such a command in my system.

I am using latex and include an eps file in my tex file. When I pdflatex, the system reports that it can't recognize eps file. That's why I need to use -dvi- command instead.

Code:
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{figure*} 
\includegraphics{file.eps} 
\end{figure*}
pls help me, I can't load an eps.
i can include png but its color look terrible

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I understand the importance of being able to properly view and convert files for your research. Here are some suggestions that may help you with your situation:

1. To read a DVI file after you have compiled your LaTeX file, you can use the command "dvipdf" on the command line. This will convert your DVI file into a PDF file, which you can then view on your system.

2. If you are unable to find the "kdvi" command on your system, you may need to install it. This command is often included in the "kpathsea" package, which can be installed through your system's package manager.

3. To include EPS files in your LaTeX document, you need to use the "epsfig" package. Here is an example of how you can include an EPS file in your document:

\usepackage{epsfig}
\begin{figure*}
\epsfig{file=file.eps, width=\textwidth}
\end{figure*}

4. If you are unable to load EPS files, you may need to check if your system has the Ghostscript software installed. This software is necessary for converting EPS files into a format that can be displayed on your system.

5. If you are still unable to load EPS files, you can try converting them into a different format such as PNG or JPEG. There are many online converters available that can help you with this.

I hope these suggestions help you with your issue. If you continue to face difficulties, I recommend reaching out to your colleagues or seeking assistance from your institution's IT department. They may be able to provide more specific guidance for your system. Best of luck with your research!

Hello,

I understand that you are facing some difficulties with solving a Latex problem on your Fedora4 system. It seems like you are trying to convert a DVI file into a PDF file, but you are not sure how to do so. Additionally, you are also having trouble including an EPS file in your Tex file and converting it into a PDF.

To convert a DVI file into a PDF, you can use the command "dvipdf" in your terminal. This command should be available in your system as it is a standard tool for converting DVI files into PDFs. If the "dvipdf" command is not available, you can try installing the "texlive-dvipdf" package on your Fedora4 system.

Regarding including EPS files in your Tex file, I would recommend using the "graphicx" package and the "figure" environment. The code you have provided seems to be correct, but you need to make sure that the EPS file is in the same directory as your Tex file. If you are still facing issues, you can try converting the EPS file into a PDF using a conversion tool like "epstopdf" and then including the PDF file in your Tex file.

I hope this helps you solve your Latex problem. If you continue to face difficulties, I would suggest seeking help from online forums or reaching out to the Latex community for further assistance. Best of luck!

1. How can I solve Latex problems when using Fedora4 and EPS files?

One way to solve Latex problems when using Fedora4 and EPS files is to install the "ghostscript" and "ghostscript-fonts" packages. These packages contain essential fonts and programs for working with EPS files.

2. Why am I getting errors when trying to compile my Latex document with EPS figures on Fedora4?

This could be due to missing or outdated packages related to EPS files. Make sure you have the latest versions of "ghostscript" and "ghostscript-fonts" installed. You may also need to check your Latex code for any syntax errors or compatibility issues.

3. Can I use EPS files in Latex on Fedora4 without installing additional packages?

No, Latex on Fedora4 does not have built-in support for EPS files. You will need to install the "ghostscript" and "ghostscript-fonts" packages to use EPS figures in your Latex document.

4. Can I convert EPS files to another format to use in Latex on Fedora4?

Yes, you can use a program like "convert" or "imagemagick" to convert EPS files to a supported format, such as PNG or PDF. However, keep in mind that this may affect the quality of your figures, so it is recommended to use EPS files directly if possible.

5. Is there a specific way to include EPS files in my Latex document on Fedora4?

Yes, you will need to use the "graphicx" package and the "\includegraphics" command to insert EPS figures into your Latex document. Make sure to specify the correct file path and check for any errors in your code. Additionally, it is recommended to use the "epstopdf" package to convert EPS files to PDF on-the-fly during compilation.