Area Moment of Inertia for Solid Shafts

In summary, the area moment of inertia for a solid shaft is given by (pi*d^4) / 64 or (pi*d^4) / 32, depending on the type of calculation (bending or buckling). There is also a relationship between the area moment of inertia and Widerstandsmoment for these cases. Other cross sections may have different formulas, but the two given here are commonly used.
teng125
for a solid shaft,the area moment of inertia is (pi*d^4) / 64 or (pi*d^4) / 32 ?? i mean in bending and buckling case.

ihave two formulas but don't know which one is correct??

does anybody has those formulas for other cross sections ??
pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
For a shaft with cross section d,

Area moment of inertia is [tex]I=\frac{\pi*d^4}{64}[/tex] with unit [tex]mm^4[/tex]

Widerstandsmoment, [tex]W=\frac{\pi*di^3}{32}[/tex] with unit [tex]mm^3[/tex]

Relation between W and I, for the case of bending and bulking, is given by:
[tex]W_{by}=\frac{I_{y}}{C}[/tex] where C is the (maximum) distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber or layer of atoms.

Hence, do not be confused as they are different and yet related. If one is known, let's say I, the other can be found, W in this case.

Last edited:

I can confirm that both formulas are correct for calculating the area moment of inertia for solid shafts in bending and buckling cases. The difference lies in the assumption of boundary conditions and loading conditions. The (pi*d^4) / 64 formula assumes fixed-fixed boundary conditions and uniform loading, while the (pi*d^4) / 32 formula assumes simply supported boundary conditions and central loading.

For other cross sections, there are different formulas for calculating the area moment of inertia depending on the shape and boundary conditions. Some common cross sections and their corresponding area moment of inertia formulas are:

- Rectangular cross section: (b*h^3)/12, where b is the base and h is the height
- Circular cross section: (pi*d^4)/64, where d is the diameter
- Triangular cross section: (b*h^3)/36, where b is the base and h is the height
- I-beam cross section: (b*h^3)/12 - 2*(b-2*t)*(h-t)^3/12, where b is the total width, h is the total height, and t is the thickness of the flanges

It is important to use the correct formula for the specific cross section and boundary conditions in order to accurately calculate the area moment of inertia. I recommend consulting a reference book or online resource for a comprehensive list of area moment of inertia formulas for different cross sections.

What is the definition of area moment of inertia for solid shafts?

Area moment of inertia for solid shafts, also known as second moment of area, is a measure of an object's resistance to bending. It is defined as the sum of the products of each element's area and the square of its distance from a neutral axis.

What is the formula for calculating the area moment of inertia for solid shafts?

The formula for calculating the area moment of inertia for solid shafts is I = ∫ y^2 dA, where I is the area moment of inertia, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and dA is the differential area of the object.

How is the area moment of inertia related to the stiffness of a solid shaft?

The area moment of inertia is directly proportional to the stiffness of a solid shaft. A larger area moment of inertia means a greater resistance to bending and thus a stiffer shaft. This is important in applications where stiffness is necessary for the proper functioning of a structure.

What are the units of area moment of inertia for solid shafts?

The units of area moment of inertia for solid shafts depend on the units used for distance and area. In the SI system, the units are meters to the fourth power (m^4), while in the English system, the units are inches to the fourth power (in^4).

How can the area moment of inertia be used in engineering design?

The area moment of inertia is an important parameter in engineering design, especially in structural and mechanical engineering. It is used to determine the strength and stiffness of a solid shaft, and can help engineers select the appropriate materials and dimensions for a given application. It is also used in calculations for deflection and stress analysis of shafts.