Male to female BMR differences

• Thread starter muadib2k
  • Start date
In summary, there are several physiological factors that contribute to the difference in BMR between males and females, including the difference in fat:muscle ratio and average height. However, the primary cause of these differences is the hormone levels in each gender, with estrogen playing a role in fat distribution and testosterone influencing muscle growth. Additionally, the presence of receptor sites for these hormones also plays a role in determining the effects they have on the body.
muadib2k
Hi,

What are some of the physiological factors that cause males and females to have different BMR’s (base metabolic rates)?

I’m thinking that one factor would be the difference in the fat:muscle ratio in males and females. Also, on average at least, males tend to be taller. Are there any other major reasons that may account for the BMR differences?

Thanks,

Biology news on Phys.org
Higher fat percentage is the result of BMR, not the cause.

Nautica

After thinking about it, It would be both the cause and the result. Which came first?

Nautica

I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that the higher fat percentage is the result of estrogen in females. Likewise the higher percentage of muscle in males is due to testosterone.

The estrogen is responsible for the female disperment of fat.

The testosterone, along with HGH, IGF-1 and receptor sites for each are responsible for muscle. With out the proper receptor sites the testosterone will not have the effect on the muscles.

For example, you can give a female and extremely high dosage of test and she will not build the muscle like a male will.

Nautica

What is BMR?

BMR stands for basal metabolic rate, which is the amount of energy (calories) your body needs to maintain basic, life-sustaining functions while at rest.

What causes differences in BMR between males and females?

There are several factors that contribute to the differences in BMR between males and females. These include body composition, hormone levels, and muscle mass.

Do males have a higher BMR than females?

Generally, yes. On average, males have a higher BMR than females due to having a higher percentage of muscle mass, which requires more energy to maintain compared to fat mass.

Can BMR be changed?

Yes, BMR can be changed through various factors such as exercise, diet, and age. Regular physical activity and increasing muscle mass can help increase BMR, while aging and decreased physical activity can lower BMR.

How can BMR affect weight loss or gain?

BMR plays a significant role in weight loss or gain as it determines the number of calories your body burns at rest. If you consume more calories than your BMR, you may gain weight, and if you consume fewer calories, you may lose weight.