Finding the Correct Function and Limits for a Polar Double Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses trouble finding the correct function and limits for evaluating an integral in polar coordinates. The person tried using the function sin(r^2) with limits of 3 to 6 and 0 to 2pi, but it did not give the correct answer. They then realized they needed to change from dA to drd\theta and reevaluated to get -1/2*cos(r^2) from 6 to 3. They also discussed the possibility of using degrees instead of radians, but ultimately found that using radians gave the correct answer.
glid02
I'm having trouble finding the function and/or the limits to this problem:

Using polar coordinates, evaluate the integral http://ada.math.uga.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/01/19aeef09224e0fca11ef9d6e45fb311.png where R is the region http://ada.math.uga.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/21/9cc2c610adbc73bdcbe1922b3dea321.png

I've tried the function as sin(r^2) with the limits as 3 to 6 and 0 to 2pi, but that does not give the right answer.

That would give -1/2*cos(r^2) which gives .0893 dtheta, which is then
.0893*2pi.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing the integrals correctly, I think I just have the function wrong. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You realize you need to change it from dA to [tex]drd\theta[/tex] right?

Last edited:
[tex]r dr d\theta[/tex]. But he did that, and -1/2*cos(r^2) looks right to me. Your limits look good too. I don't see where you are getting .0893 though.

Last edited:
I evaluated 1/2*cos(r^2) from 6 to 3

-1/2(cos(36)-cos(9))

Last edited:
He is using degrees rather than radians?

It's in radians, all the other homework has been and I just tried the answer with 360 instead of 2pi.

Max meant that your calculation used degrees, when you should have used radians... and I think he's right.

Ah, you are right. That worked, thanks a lot.

What is a polar double integral?

A polar double integral is an integral that is used to find the volume or area of a region in polar coordinates. It is similar to a regular double integral, but the limits of integration are given in terms of polar coordinates.

How do you set up a polar double integral?

To set up a polar double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both the radius (r) and angle (θ). Then, you need to determine the function (f(r,θ)) that represents the region you want to find the area or volume of. The polar double integral is then written as ∫∫f(r,θ)drdθ.

What is the difference between a polar double integral and a regular double integral?

The main difference between a polar double integral and a regular double integral is the use of polar coordinates. In a regular double integral, the limits of integration are given in terms of x and y coordinates, while in a polar double integral, the limits are given in terms of radius (r) and angle (θ). This allows for easier integration when dealing with circular or symmetrical regions.

What is the purpose of a polar double integral?

The purpose of a polar double integral is to find the area or volume of a region in polar coordinates. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where polar coordinates are commonly used to describe motion and forces.

What are some applications of polar double integrals?

Polar double integrals have many real-world applications, including finding the mass and center of mass of a polar object, calculating the work done by a force in a circular motion, and finding the moment of inertia of a rotating object. They are also useful in solving problems involving electric fields and gravitational fields.