Why do dogs chase their tails?

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary, the conversation revolves around the behavior of animals, specifically cats and dogs, chasing their tails. The participants share their observations and theories on why this behavior occurs, with some attributing it to boredom or itchiness. One participant even shares a link to an article discussing compulsive tail chasing in dogs.
timejim
Why do they do that? Sometimes, they go round and round, after their tail. Beats me.

Physics news on Phys.org
My cat chases his tail. And has mad half hours where he runs around the house chasing nothing while making "prump" noises...from his throat (not his bum). Then again all of my cats are insane... Another is fat, one is a retard, and the 4th enjoys flying around on the scratching post!

Dogs are just stupid...cats are eccentric, i would assume they chase there tail cos they are bored and want to catch it. If i had a tail i would want to chase it...

Yea me too, i would love to chase my tail, would keep me fit.

Because it's itchy

hehe. you guys must be bored. i must be really bored: see http://www.selkirkvet.com/behaviour_dogs.htm#a9 and search for "chase" to get to the paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dog chases his tail compulsivly, often for about one minute straight. Then again, he also likes to race around the ottoman nascar-style.

Question 1: Why do dogs chase their tails?

Dogs chase their tails for a variety of reasons, but the most common is that it is a natural instinct and behavior. Many dogs are born with a strong prey drive and chasing their tails may satisfy this urge.

Question 2: Is it normal for dogs to chase their tails?

Yes, it is completely normal for dogs to chase their tails. It is a common behavior in many dog breeds and can be seen in puppies as young as a few weeks old.

Question 3: Do all dogs chase their tails?

No, not all dogs chase their tails. Some breeds are more prone to tail chasing, while others may never exhibit this behavior. It also depends on the individual dog's personality and level of activity.

Question 4: Is tail chasing a sign of a mental or physical problem?

In most cases, tail chasing is not a sign of a mental or physical problem. However, if the behavior becomes excessive or obsessive, it may indicate an underlying issue and it is best to consult a veterinarian.

Question 5: How can I stop my dog from chasing their tail?

If you are concerned about your dog's tail chasing behavior, it is important to first rule out any underlying medical issues. Then, you can work on redirecting their attention to a more appropriate activity, providing mental and physical stimulation, and ensuring they get enough exercise. Consulting a professional dog trainer may also be helpful in addressing this behavior.