Understanding the Derivative at Point P(1,2) in f(x,y)

• Thread starter faust9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem understanding how a textbook came up with an answer to an example problem involving a function and a point. The specific issue is understanding the use of the unit vector in the problem and where the angle of pi/3 came from. It is clarified that the unit vector represents a direction and that the given information is used to find the directional derivative. The person asking for help realizes their mistake and thanks the other person for their assistance.
faust9
OK, I having a small problem understanding how my textbook came about an answer to an example problem.

[tex]f(x,y)=4-x^2-\frac{1}{4}y^2[/tex]
at P(1,2)

This next step is the one that's bugging me:

[tex]u^\rightarrow=\cos(\frac{\pi}{3})\imath+\sin(\frac{\pi}{3})\jmath[/tex]

This is one of those instances where something magic happens because right now I have little to no clue where the [tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex] came from.

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
I may be wrong, but isn't that just part of the given information? I mean, you're being asked to find the directional derivative, meaning the rate of change of the function at a point in a given direction. So you know the function z=f(x,y), you're given a point P(1,2), and you're given the unit vector of the direction you're interested in.

Yeah your correct... The question is poorly written (or at least poorly formated). Thanks for showing me my stupid mistake.

Specifically, [tex]u^\rightarrow=\cos(\frac{\pi}{3})\imath+\sin(\frac{\pi}{3})\jmath[/tex] is the unit vector point at an angle [tex]\pi/3[/tex] radians from the positive x-axis.

(Psst. Use "\vec v" in LaTeX to display a vector... :smile:)

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a type of derivative that measures the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. It tells us how quickly a function changes in a specific direction from a given point.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and a unit vector representing the direction in which the derivative is being calculated.

3. What is the significance of the directional derivative?

The directional derivative is important because it allows us to determine the slope of a function in a specific direction, which is useful in optimization problems and understanding the behavior of functions in different directions.

4. Can a directional derivative be negative?

Yes, a directional derivative can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing in the direction of the derivative.

5. How is the direction of the maximum directional derivative determined?

The direction of the maximum directional derivative is determined by the direction of the gradient of the function. The gradient points in the direction of the steepest increase, so the maximum directional derivative occurs in that direction.