How do I recode this independent, categorical variable

In summary, the speaker is a student at the University of Arizona who needs to use SPSS for their political science class. They are using the Przeworski data set and want to recode their independent variable (INST) into two separate variables (Presidential and Parliamentary) in order to run correlations with their continuous dependent variables. They also mention a resource for online SPSS tutorials and encourage viewers to subscribe to their channel.
cachemony
I’m student at the University of Arizona. In my political science class, I need to use SPSS to calculate bivariate correlation between a categorical independent variable (Presidential or Parliamentary system) and a continuous dependent variable (various measures of democracy)

I’m using the Przeworski data set. My original independent variable in this set is called INST, which designates each state as a dictatorship 0, parliament democracy 1, mixed democracy 2, and a presidential democracy 3.

My question is: How do I recode this independent, categorical variable (INST) into two different variables (Presidential and Parliamentary), so it excludes the mixed democracies and dictatorships and allow me to run a correlation with my continuous dependent variables? So, I want to be able to recode INST into Presidential and Parliament variables and run them separately to see how each one correlates with my continuous dependent variables?

Thanks,
Noah

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand this correctly, you do not want to code INST into 2 different variables. You want a single categorical variable, say, PRES which is = 1 if INST = 3, and PRES = 0 if INST = 1. Before doing this, however, you should exclude all observations where INST = 0 or 2.

I want to recode INST so I can run correlations of Presidential and Parliment systems separate from each other against my dependent variables?

Thanks,
Noah

If you exclude INST = 0 or 2, you cannot define two independent variables, e.g. PRES and PARL, because they will be perfectly correlated with each other: PRES + PARL = 1 or PARL = 1 - PRES.

OTOH, perhaps you are not aiming to exclude the 0's and the 2's; in which case you can define two independent variables PRES and PARL.

Check out www.youtube.com/mycsula for our newly completed series of online SPSS (now IBM Statistics) video tutorials.

Learn how to: define variables, enter data, run a paired samples t test, perform frequency analysis, use scripting and syntax files, create and edit charts and graphs, and much more.

Training modules cover a wide range of topics aimed at beginners to more advanced users. All videos include examples and instructions to help you with whatever area of research or analysis you are working on.

You can find these videos at www.youtube.com/mycsula. Check them out and subscribe to our channel today!

Thanks,

The ITS Online Training team

www.youtube.com/mycsula

How do I recode an independent, categorical variable?

Recoding an independent, categorical variable involves changing the values or categories of the variable. This may be necessary in order to simplify the data or make it more meaningful for analysis.

What are the steps for recoding an independent, categorical variable?

The first step is to identify the variable that needs to be recoded. Next, determine the new categories or values that you want to assign to the variable. Then, use a data analysis software or coding method to make the changes. Finally, check the data to ensure that the recoding was successful and make any necessary adjustments.

Why is recoding an independent, categorical variable important?

Recoding can help to make data more manageable and easier to analyze. It can also make the data more meaningful and interpretable, providing insights and information that may not have been evident before.

What are some common methods for recoding an independent, categorical variable?

There are several methods that can be used to recode categorical variables, including manual coding using a spreadsheet or coding software, using statistical software such as SPSS or SAS, or using a programming language like R or Python. The method used will depend on the complexity of the recoding and the researcher's preferred tools.

Are there any potential limitations or considerations when recoding an independent, categorical variable?

Yes, there are a few potential limitations or considerations to keep in mind when recoding a categorical variable. These may include losing information or detail in the data, potential biases in the recoding process, and the need to clearly document and explain the recoded variable for others to understand. It is also important to carefully consider the purpose and potential implications of recoding before making any changes.