How many imperfections could one tolerate and still truly love someone

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, many mothers think that love blinds them from someone's imperfections. They can overlook them if they are already in love.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Be true to yourself here please, perfection is in the eye of the beholder,
but how many imperfections could you tolerate and still truly (love) some
one?

Physics news on Phys.org
A mother need not worry about the number of imperfections of her children, if she is like most mothers and loves them unconditionally. I tend to think love kinda blinds you from someone's imperfections. It can even make that person you love somehow unique, in your eyes. Over all I suppose it has to do with the level of love and the depth of imperfections that make or break love.

No one can answer you that. It depends on the situation and the imperfection.

Every time I think of how stupid my wife is, I remember that she married me and that improves my estimation of her genius.

jimmysnyder said:
Every time I think of how stupid my wife is, I remember that she married me and that improves my estimation of her genius.

That doesn't make sense. Unless you mean "she married me therefore she is a very intelligent person"; in which case it doesn't fit into the theme of the thread. Care to expand?

I can't tolerate any imperfection. Thats why I'm hooked on one woman who is perfect.

Kurdt said:
I can't tolerate any imperfection. Thats why I'm hooked on one woman who is perfect.

You found her?! Man has been looking for her for thousands of years!

It would really depend on the imperfection. I am more likely not to date someone with a bad attitude than someone with a physical imperfection. Like zenparticle said, usually it's the imperfections that become the most endearing.

I could NOT date someone stupid.

cristo said:
That doesn't make sense. Unless you mean "she married me therefore she is a very intelligent person"
Agreed.

cristo said:
in which case, it doesn't fit into the theme of the thread.
I heartily disagree. It speaks to the OP's remark that perfection is in the eye of the beholder. I'm the beholder, I see my wife do a dozen stupid things a day. (never mind that I do thirteen). But if I take the blinders off, I behold more than the day to day irritations. In this way, I can tolerate a great deal. To the beholders of imperfections, I say "look again."

wolram said:
Be true to yourself here please, perfection is in the eye of the beholder,
but how many imperfections could you tolerate and still truly (love) some
one?

For certain this is what Douglas Adams was referring to in his Hitchhiker series when the hypercomputer Deep Thought was asked what the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is. When Deep Thought gave the answer 42 it obviously meant that is how many imperfections we can tolerate in someone that we love.

That's good to know. I should be perfectly safe because I can't remember more than 5 or 6 things simultaneously for any length of time. My question to Deep Thought would be "Can you tell me what my phone number is?" Then again, I don't have 7.5 million years to wait for an answer, so I'll just get the card I have it written on from my wallet and read it.

This should be a warning. Don't ever make a list of things you hate about people you love.

Huckleberry said:
Don't ever make a list of things you hate about people you love.
Hear, hear.

cyrusabdollahi said:

And how much you love that person already. It's a lot easier to overlook imperfections, or not see them as imperfections at all, if you're already in love than if you aren't.

Huckleberry said:
For certain this is what Douglas Adams was referring to in his Hitchhiker series when the hypercomputer Deep Thought was asked what the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is. When Deep Thought gave the answer 42 it obviously meant that is how many imperfections we can tolerate in someone that we love.

That's good to know. I should be perfectly safe because I can't remember more than 5 or 6 things simultaneously for any length of time. My question to Deep Thought would be "Can you tell me what my phone number is?" Then again, I don't have 7.5 million years to wait for an answer, so I'll just get the card I have it written on from my wallet and read it.

This should be a warning. Don't ever make a list of things you hate about people you love.
just I like what you say

Zenparticle said:
A mother need not worry about the number of imperfections of her children, if she is like most mothers and loves them unconditionally. I tend to think love kinda blinds you from someone's imperfections. It can even make that person you love somehow unique, in your eyes. Over all I suppose it has to do with the level of love and the depth of imperfections that make or break love.

Very well said!:approve:

jimmysnyder said:
I heartily disagree. It speaks to the OP's remark that perfection is in the eye of the beholder. I'm the beholder, I see my wife do a dozen stupid things a day. (never mind that I do thirteen). But if I take the blinders off, I behold more than the day to day irritations. In this way, I can tolerate a great deal. To the beholders of imperfections, I say "look again."

I think I took what you wrote in a manner in which it wasn't intended. What you really mean is "my wife may do stupid things, but I ignore them because I love her, and because I can see past them." I read your original comment to mean "since my wife has married then she must be intelligent"-- it is this that I thought was rather egotistic and off-topic.

Apologies for the misunderstanding!

Evo said:
It would really depend on the imperfection. I am more likely not to date someone with a bad attitude than someone with a physical imperfection. Like zenparticle said, usually it's the imperfections that become the most endearing.

I could NOT date someone stupid.

I have a chance :smile:

No i do not :cry:

cyrusabdollahi said:

Could you date some one with say, volcanic achne ?

wolram said:

Depends on how much money they had! A few million could make a face look clear as a baby's you know what. Ok, ok... I'm kidding. If the person had a great personallity zits would not matter to me, but I am a woman so we are not as harsh about "looks" as most men.. I think..

Zenparticle said:
Depends on how much money they had! A few million could make a face look clear as a baby's you know what. Ok, ok... I'm kidding. If the person had a great personallity zits would not matter to me, but I am a woman so we are not as harsh about "looks" as most men.. I think..
Wow, another lady on PFs, that is just so good, there should be more,
but alas you guys just will not come out of the woodwork.

wolram said:
This is something that I never liked about myself because I hate it when people do it to me. Yet, a large part of what first attracts me to a woman is her appearance. That is only short-lived though. After the first few minutes of talking with someone my opinion of them can change drastically. I have no interest in a mean-spirited woman regardless of how good she looks. And the girl with volcanic acne might seem like someone that I would like to get to know better. Forming a physical relationship with the latter would take more time for all those little, meaningless imperfections to seem not so imperfect.

If you truly love someone, then you are blind to his/her imperfections. The question doesn't make sense (with "true love" mentioned in it).

Huckleberry said:
This is something that I never liked about myself because I hate it when people do it to me. Yet, a large part of what first attracts me to a woman is her appearance. That is only short-lived though. After the first few minutes of talking with someone my opinion of them can change drastically. I have no interest in a mean-spirited woman regardless of how good she looks. And the girl with volcanic acne might seem like someone that I would like to get to know better. Forming a physical relationship with the latter would take more time for all those little, meaningless imperfections to seem not so imperfect.

I guess it is a quirk of nature (natural selection) to be repulsed at first
by some physical imperfection, but as you say it is the person as a whole
that is important.

1. How do imperfections affect the ability to truly love someone?

Imperfections can affect the way we perceive and interact with someone, but they do not necessarily determine our ability to love them. We can still choose to love and accept someone for who they are, imperfections and all.

2. Are there a certain number of imperfections that one can tolerate and still truly love someone?

There is no specific number of imperfections that determines our ability to love someone. Each person's capacity for love is unique and can vary based on individual experiences and values.

3. Can imperfections in a relationship be overlooked or ignored in order to maintain love?

While imperfections can be overlooked or ignored, it is important to address and communicate about them in a healthy and respectful manner. Ignoring them may lead to resentment and ultimately harm the relationship.

4. Can imperfections in a person change over time and still be loved?

Imperfections can change over time and it is possible to still love someone despite these changes. Love is an ongoing process and requires acceptance and adaptability.

5. How can someone learn to love someone despite their imperfections?

Learning to love someone despite their imperfections involves understanding and accepting that no one is perfect. It also requires empathy, open communication, and a willingness to work through challenges together.