Pros and Cons of Fusion Power Generation

In summary, there are various fusion approaches for power generation, including tokamaks, stellarators, spheromaks, and pinches. However, there is limited information comparing the physics and engineering issues of these approaches. Some common metrics that can be used for comparison are efficiency, confinement times, plasma density, and reaction rate. The cost and time invested in each approach should also be considered. Inertial electrostatic confinement (IEC) has been proposed as a solution, but it has the challenge of thermalization and the stability of non-neutral plasmas. Magnetic confinement also has limitations on plasma density and stability. Overall, there are still many technical challenges to be overcome in order to achieve successful fusion power generation.
TallDave said:
Sorry to bump again, but people might find this comment from Nebel interesting:...
link? linky-link-link please? Or which paper?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, it doesn't let me post links :(

It was just a comment he made at Talk Polywell. Let's see if I can trick the anti-spam program:

www talk-polywell org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=62500&start=30

The Helically Symmetric eXperiment

Something that has been overlooked.

HSX is a modular coil stellarator optimized for quasi-helically symmetry located in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department at the University of Wisconsin. Plasma physics research goals include investigation of transport, turbulence, and confinement in a quasi-helically symmetric magnetic field.

http://www.hsx.wisc.edu/

http://www.hsx.wisc.edu/parameters.shtml

Coil Current (maximum): 13.4 kiloAmperes
Magnetic Field Strength (maximum): 1.37 Tesla
Power Density: 0.23 W/cubic centimeter (with Heating Power (ECRH): 100 kiloWatts)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh duh, now that I read the above I realize the power density is the ion density squared (i.e. 250 ^ 2 = 62500).

More from Nebel here. He also has a discussion in the comments with a tokamakker named Art Carlson who is known for throwing cold water on non-tokamak fusion schemes.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/12/1136887.aspx?p=1

Last edited by a moderator:
TallDave said:
Oh duh, now that I read the above I realize the power density is the ion density squared (i.e. 250 ^ 2 = 62500).
is _related to_ the ion density.

Power density = Ion density x the fusion cross section for that ion species (D-T being highest), and fusion cross section being dependent on ion temperature.

Ya, I assume squaring it was the rough estimate Nebel was using there.

mheslep said:
Yes there's a picture of the latest device up on the EMC2 website w/ some joker locked inside it.

dude was not locked inside, it's the reflection of the photographer in the glass portal.