Calculating AFR and engine load

In summary, the conversation revolves around two questions: how the ECU calculates engine load and how it determines air to fuel ratio. The ECU uses MAF and O2 readings to determine the air to fuel ratio, but it is unclear if this can be used to calculate the amount of fuel burned in a cylinder. The conversation ends with frustration over the lack of adequate answers on a physics forum.
silver123
Hi,

can someone tell me how the ECU calculates the engine load (this value isn't measured directly). All I found about engine load is that this is the value that tells us how much load an engine is overcoming in the dependence of how much load it could overcome at the momentarly circumstances.

the other thing that I woul like to know is how the ECU determine air to fuel ratio. All I konw is that it uses MAF and O2 readings.
But can we calculate how much fuel (g/s) was burned in a cylinder by reading these values (MAF and O2)? If we know that mass flow (g/s) and fuel heat energy (39MJ/kg for gasoline I think), we could calculate how much power engine is producing by subtract the exhaust heat flow from release heat energy in a cylinder. We can easily calculate exhaust heat flow, by knowing air and fuel flow and temperature difference betwen intake and exhaust gases.

Physics news on Phys.org
what isn't this physics forum, thought this question will be a piece of cake for you:frown:

**** off all off you, Why you have physics forum if no one can answer a simple question!

1. What is AFR?

AFR stands for air-fuel ratio and it is the ratio of air to fuel in an internal combustion engine. It is a critical factor in engine performance and emissions.

2. How is AFR calculated?

AFR is calculated by dividing the mass of air entering the engine by the mass of fuel being injected into the engine. This can be done using a variety of sensors and calculations, such as the mass air flow sensor and oxygen sensor.

3. Why is AFR important?

AFR is important because it directly affects the combustion process in an engine. An incorrect AFR can lead to poor performance, increased emissions, and potential damage to the engine.

4. What is engine load?

Engine load is the amount of work being performed by the engine. It is typically measured in units of torque or power and can be affected by factors such as throttle position, RPM, and gear selection.

5. How is engine load calculated?

Engine load is calculated using various engine parameters, such as throttle position, air intake, and engine speed. It can also be calculated using the engine's torque output and comparing it to the maximum torque the engine is capable of producing.