About Hubble Radius (Radius of the Hubble sphere)

In summary, the Hubble Radius is defined as the distance from a fixed point to an object moving at the speed of light with respect to that point. This definition is valid for each observer, as each one has their own 'Hubble sphere'. The Hubble sphere can also be defined as the sphere with a center at the observer and a radius equal to the distance light can travel within the characteristic expansion time, known as the Hubble time. The Hubble sphere is equal to the particle horizon once we enter the dust era. However, the Hubble sphere is much closer than the particle horizon, with a radius of 13,700 Mly compared to the particle horizon's 45,000 Mly.
Ricky2357
I found the following definition for the Hubble Radius:

The radius of the Hubble sphere (Hubble radius) is defined to be the distance from a fixed point O (center of coordinate system) of an object moving with the cosmological expansion at the speed of light (with respect to O).

Mathematically, R=c(a/da) , c=speed of light , a=a(t) is the scale factor ,t is time.

How's this definition valid since the Hubble radius as defined depends on the moving object?

Space news on Phys.org
It means that each observer (each origin O you choose to define) has a different 'Hubble sphere'.

True, but, they are time limited. The Hubble bubble looks smaller to distant observers [speed of light thing].

I'm not sure what you mean Chronos, the 'Hubble Bubble' doesn't 'look' like anything since it's just a theoretical construct, a useful term in distance measures, rather than a physical structure. I'm not sure what you are saying looks different to distant observers (or who they are distant from?) ?

I found out that the Hubble sphere can also be defined as the sphere of center 0 (observer) and radius the distance that light can travel within the characteristic expansion time, that is the Hubble time : τ=1/H(t).
So R=c*τ. From the moment we entered the dust era, the Hubble sphere is the same as the particle horizon.

Last edited:
But what is your question?

Nothing, I believe it is clear now. Thanks for the help!

Looks like everyone skipped out Wallace! My intent was merely to point out the Hubble Bubble looks the same to all observers. It looks 'smaller' to distant observers because the universe was younger when 'they' sent us the picture we just received.

Ricky2357 said:
From the moment we entered the dust era, the Hubble sphere is the same as the particle horizon.
The Hubble sphere is much closer than the particle horizon. The Hubble sphere has a radius of about 13,700 Mly and the particle horizon is located at about 45,000 Mly. Both distances measured on the hypersurface of current time.

1. What is the Hubble Radius?

The Hubble Radius, also known as the Hubble sphere, is a measure of the observable universe. It is the distance from Earth at which objects are receding from us at the speed of light, due to the expansion of the universe.

2. How is the Hubble Radius calculated?

The Hubble Radius is calculated using Hubble's Law, which states that the recessional velocity of an object is directly proportional to its distance from Earth. The Hubble Constant, which is a measure of the rate of expansion of the universe, is used in this calculation.

3. What is the current estimated value of the Hubble Radius?

As of 2021, the current estimated value of the Hubble Radius is approximately 14.4 billion light years. However, this value is constantly changing as the universe continues to expand.

4. Why is the Hubble Radius important in astronomy?

The Hubble Radius is important in astronomy because it helps us understand the size and age of the universe. It also provides a limit to how far we can observe objects in the universe, as objects beyond this radius are moving away from us faster than the speed of light.

5. Is the Hubble Radius the same as the observable universe?

No, the Hubble Radius is not the same as the observable universe. The observable universe is constantly expanding and includes objects that are beyond the Hubble Radius. However, the observable universe cannot be larger than the Hubble Radius since objects beyond this point are moving away from us faster than the speed of light.