Ladder against wall - what is friction needed to prevent ladder from slipping

In summary, the question asks for the minimum amount of friction needed between a uniform 15 kg ladder and the floor to prevent it from slipping. With the angle between the ladder and the wall at 25 degrees and assuming negligible friction between the ladder and the wall, the forces and torque acting on the ladder must be balanced to prevent slipping. By setting the sum of forces and torques equal to zero, the necessary friction can be determined to be 34 N.
avsj

Homework Statement

A uniform 15 kg ladder whose length is 5.0 m stands on the floor and leans against a vertical wall, making an angle of 25 degrees with the vertical. Assuming that the friction between the ladder and the wall is negligible, what is the minimum amount of friction between the ladder and the floor which will keep the ladder from slipping?

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Torque = distance x force

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am not sure about my approach. I figure I should try and find the force on the horizontal on the ground and that should be the friction needed.

Fg = 15 x 9.8 at teh center of the ladder =147 N
Torque also at the center = 147 x 2.5m = 367.5
The gravity should be going straight down and the torque perpendicular to the ladder. This gievs me the hypotenuse and one side of a triangle, left with the ground as the horizontal which solves as 337 N but the correct answer is 34 N.
I'm guessing I would need to use the angle in there somewhere.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

Can anybody give me a tip in what we to start/approach this question?

Thanks

Sum of the moments is zero.

Determine the forces and their corresponding moment arms.

Sorry, still don't get it. I tried using a gravity arm downwards, a torque perpendicular and then solving the horizontal as the friction.

Any other suggestions? What am I missing?

Draw the three forces acting on the ladder. i) gravity (which acts at the center of mass, so produces no torque, ii) normal+friction force at the ground and iii) normal force from the house (which must be horizontal since there is no friction). Set the sum of all the forces equal to zero and the sum of all the produced torques equal to zero. That's what Astronuc said in a very concise manner.

1. What is friction and how does it prevent the ladder from slipping?

Friction is the force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other. In the case of a ladder against a wall, friction occurs between the feet of the ladder and the ground and between the ladder and the wall. This friction creates a resistance that prevents the ladder from slipping.

2. How is the amount of friction determined?

The amount of friction is determined by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the ladder, and the angle at which the ladder is leaning against the wall. The rougher the surfaces, the heavier the ladder, and the steeper the angle, the greater the friction will be.

3. What are some ways to increase friction and prevent the ladder from slipping?

To increase friction, you can use a ladder with rubber or textured feet to increase the contact area with the ground. You can also clean both the ladder feet and the ground to remove any debris or dirt that may reduce friction. Another option is to add a non-slip material, such as a rubber mat, between the ladder and the ground or the ladder and the wall.

4. Why is it important to prevent the ladder from slipping?

Preventing the ladder from slipping is crucial for safety reasons. A ladder that slips can cause serious injuries to the person using it or anyone standing nearby. It can also damage property or objects that the ladder is leaning against.

5. What are some other safety precautions to take when using a ladder against a wall?

In addition to preventing the ladder from slipping, there are other safety precautions to take when using a ladder against a wall. These include making sure the ladder is on a level surface, having someone hold the ladder steady, and not overreaching while on the ladder. It is also important to inspect the ladder for any damage or defects before use.