What is dm? (moment of inertia)

In summary, the mass moment of inertia 'I' is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is given by the integral of r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis and dm is the differential mass. For more complex shapes, dm can be found by multiplying the mass density by the differential volume, which is the rate at which the volume changes with respect to an increase in the radius. The key parameter in finding the moment of inertia for these shapes is the density, and finding the correct density allows for shortcuts in the calculation.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
Mass moment of inertia 'I' is given by

[tex]I = \int r^2 dm[/tex]

r is the distance from the axis and dm is delta mass.

What is dm? How do I figure that out?

For a cylinder, the moment of inertia around the axis that goes from flat end to flat end is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mr^2[/itex].
The r^2 part is self explanatory but where does (1/2)m come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] dm = \rho (\vec{r}) dV[/tex]
where [itex]\rho(\vec{r})[/itex] is the mass density as a function of position,

which yields a more general equation

[tex]I = \int_V r^2 \rho(\vec{r}) \, dV[/tex]

cookiemonster

Your 'differential mass' (dm) is the rate that the mass changes in response to a change in the radius - i.e. the density times the differential volume (rate volume changes).

To find the density you need to how to find the volume of the object (for a cylinder, find the area of one of the ends and multiply by the height of the cylinder). And density is just mass divided by volume.

The differential volume is just the rate that the volume changes in response to an increase in the radius. In other words, its the derivative of the formula used to find the volume.

It's the same basic procedure for any shape, except, obviously, the formula for finding the volume changes depending upon the shape.

For the more painful shapes, the key parameter is the density. If you get the density right, there's a lot of shortcuts you can take for finding the moment of inertia (finding I for a fictional solid object and then subtracting out I for the portion you don't need - much like the easiest way to find the area on a CD is to find the area of a solid disk and then subtract out the area of the hole).

Likes tonyombao

1. What is the definition of dm in moment of inertia?

In the context of moment of inertia, dm refers to the infinitesimal mass element that makes up an object. It is used in the integral equation for calculating moment of inertia, which involves summing the product of the mass of each infinitesimal element and its distance from the axis of rotation squared.

2. How is dm different from regular mass?

Dm is different from regular mass in that it represents a tiny, infinitesimal piece of an object, while regular mass refers to the total amount of matter in an object. Dm is used in the calculation of moment of inertia, while regular mass is used in other equations, such as Newton's second law of motion.

3. What is the unit of measurement for dm?

The unit of measurement for dm is typically kilograms (kg), as it represents a small mass element of an object. However, it can also be expressed in other units of mass, such as grams (g) or pounds (lb).

4. How is dm calculated in practice?

In practice, dm is calculated by dividing the object into infinitesimal pieces and determining the mass of each piece. This can be done using various methods, such as weighing each piece or using mathematical equations to calculate the mass based on the density and dimensions of the object.

5. Why is dm important in moment of inertia calculations?

Dm is important in moment of inertia calculations because it allows for a more precise and accurate determination of an object's moment of inertia. By considering the mass distribution of an object rather than just its total mass, moment of inertia can be calculated for objects with varying shapes and densities. This is essential in applications such as engineering and physics, where moment of inertia is an important factor in understanding an object's rotational motion.