How Stars are Formed - Astronomy Basics

• Thread starter ihopeican
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, stars are formed from gas clouds called nebulas in the universe. These clouds eventually become large enough to start contracting, creating high temperatures and nuclear reactions that turn hydrogen into helium. This process takes millions of years and creates the energy that makes stars shine. Gravity is a natural result of having mass.
ihopeican
hi there,
i plan on becoming an astrophysicist/astronomer/cosmologist and recentley started looking for basic information into astronomy which i should know.
i was wlndering if i am right about how stars are formed. i will try to put down how i understand:
in the universe gas clouds could nebulas form and over millions of years gets big enough, approximatley 10billion kilometres wide, to start contracting which will eventually become a star. as the gas clouds contracting the tempreture is very hot and on the average star is 150 000 000 degrees. C. This process also takes long because the most energy and heat is within the centre of the star and takes millions of years to reach the surface where it could be converted to light, etc. energy.
once the star is large enough and tempreture is high enough the forces cause balance with the gravity causing the gases to contract which then slows and stops the contracting process.
the tempretures stay high because of mini explosions in the star.

i know i have many faults in here, so please correct them.

also holw is gravity formed? and i read somthing about hydrogen turning into helium?
Thankyou for all help.
,,:confused:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The first generations of stars were formed from the hydrogen created in the big bang. Something happened to compress the clouds of hydrogen together into galaxies, then smaller regions of the clouds got compressed into stars.
Many of these early stars were more massive and so reacted faster and used up all their fuel and exploded ito supernova very quickly ( few 100 Myr), this created the higher elements which make up current stars like our sun and the planets.

To make a star a gas cloud contracts under gravity and the centre heats up, when it is hot enough hydrogen begins to fuse into helium in a nuclear reaction, this creates the energy that makes the sun shine - it also pushes out the rest of the gas in the star which is being pulled into the centre by gravity, this is what makes a star stable. When the fuel runs out and there is nothing to push out the outer parts of the star it collapses in on itself and can form a black hole.

Gravity isn't formed it happens whenever you have mass.

If only we had known how gravity *was* formed... :p

1. What is the process of star formation?

The process of star formation begins with a giant molecular cloud, a dense region of gas and dust in space. The cloud collapses under its own gravity, causing it to become denser and hotter. Eventually, the core of the cloud becomes hot enough for nuclear fusion to begin, and a star is born.

2. How long does it take for a star to form?

The time it takes for a star to form can vary greatly depending on the size of the molecular cloud and the mass of the star being formed. On average, it takes about 10 million years for a star to form.

3. What elements are involved in star formation?

Stars are primarily made up of hydrogen and helium, the two most abundant elements in the universe. However, during the process of star formation, other elements such as carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen are also created through nuclear fusion.

4. What role do gravity and pressure play in star formation?

Gravity is the driving force behind star formation, as it causes the molecular cloud to collapse and become denser. Pressure, on the other hand, works to counteract gravity. Without enough pressure, the cloud would continue to collapse and form a black hole rather than a star.

5. Can stars continue to form throughout their lifetime?

No, stars only form during the early stages of their life when the conditions are right for nuclear fusion to occur. Once a star has reached the end of its life cycle and runs out of fuel, it will either become a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole, depending on its mass.