Special Trajectory Equation - Solving for T

• Thread starter Zengi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trajectory
In summary, to solve for t in a trajectory with constant acceleration and angular velocity on a 2d plane, you will need to manipulate the equations using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to get it into the form of a quadratic equation and then use the quadratic formula to solve for t.
Zengi
Hello everyone,
I am making a physics model for a game. This model works by extrapolating points in time through trajectories, pretty basic stuff. The problem is I need a trajectory for something on a 2d plane, with constant acceleration, and constant angular velocity. I've done almost all the leg work but I got stuck at the end when I need to solve it for t. I need to solve for t to predict when a trajectory will overlap a specific location. So, here is what I got so far.

Variable Constants:
V_i = initial velocity
a = acceleration
w = omega, angular velocity, projectiles turn rate

Variables = t , time

I started with the basic velocity equation.
v(t) = dx/dt

re-arranged it and took the integral of both sides

integral(dx) = integral(v(t)dt)

substituted v(t) for what I needed ( this equation will be the forward component )

x = integral(cos(wt)*(v_i+at)dt)

integrated the first half

x = (V_i*sin(wt))/w + ...

and then the second half and got the final equation
solving for c where at t = 0 x should be 0

[tex]x = \frac{V_{i}}{\omega}*sin(\omega*t) + \frac{a}{\omega^{2}}*cos(\omega*t) + \frac{a*t}{\omega}*sin(\omega*t) - \frac{a}{\omega^{2}}[/tex]

I followed the same process for the sideways version of the equation and obtained this one.

[tex]y = \frac{-V_{i}}{\omega}*cos(\omega*t) + \frac{a}{\omega^{2}}*sin(\omega*t) + \frac{-a*t}{\omega}*cos(\omega*t) - \frac{V_{i}}{\omega}[/tex]

I tested these equations and they work, much to my surprise. Tested them on a TI83 Plus using the X and Y mode. However, for my purposes I need to be able to get these in "t =" form.

I've been rearranging them back and forth for hours but I just can't seem to get it. I'm not sure it's even possible since there are several t's per x and some x's may not have a t at all so it's not exactly a function curve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!To solve for t, you will need to use some trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to manipulate the equations into a form where you can solve for t. First, combine the x and y equations into one equation that includes both x and y:x^2 + y^2 = (V_i/w)^2 + (a/w^2)^2 + (a/w)^2*t^2 - 2*(V_i/w)*(a/w^2)*cos(wt) - 2*(a/w)*t*sin(wt) + 2*(V_i/w)*(a/w)*t*cos(wt) + 2*(V_i/w)*(a/w^2)*sin(wt).Now, you can use the identity cos^2(wt) + sin^2(wt) = 1 to simplify the equation:x^2 + y^2 = (V_i/w)^2 + (a/w^2)^2 + (a/w)^2*t^2 - 2*(V_i/w)*(a/w^2) - 2*(a/w)*t + 2*(V_i/w)*(a/w)*t.Now, you can rearrange the equation to get it in the form of a quadratic equation:(a/w)^2*t^2 - 2*(V_i/w)*(a/w)*t + (V_i/w)^2 + (a/w^2)^2 - (x^2 + y^2) = 0.Now, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for t:t = \frac{2*(V_i/w)*(a/w)*\pm\sqrt{(2*(V_i/w)*(a/w))^2 - 4*(a/w)^2*((V_i/w)^2 + (a/w^2)^2 - (x^2 + y^2))}}{2*(a/w)

What is the special trajectory equation?

The special trajectory equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the time (T) it takes for an object to travel a certain distance (x) with a given initial velocity (v) and acceleration (a). It is commonly used in physics and engineering to predict the motion of objects.

How do you solve for T in the special trajectory equation?

To solve for T, you can rearrange the special trajectory equation to the form T = (v ± √(v² + 2ax))/a. Simply plug in the values for v, a, and x and solve using basic algebraic principles.

What is the unit of measurement for T in the special trajectory equation?

The unit of measurement for T in the special trajectory equation is typically seconds (s) since it represents time.

What if the object is moving with a constant velocity?

If the object is moving with a constant velocity, the special trajectory equation is not applicable. This equation only works for objects with a constant acceleration.

Is the special trajectory equation only applicable on Earth?

No, the special trajectory equation can be used in any environment as long as the object is experiencing a constant acceleration. However, the value of acceleration (a) may vary depending on the environment and gravitational pull.