Derivative of a function with ln

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of ln[sqrt(x^2+y^2)], which can be simplified to 1/(x+y). There is also a mention of taking the total derivative and the importance of clarifying which variable is being differentiated with respect to.
ns5032
This is a small part of a bigger problem, but the part I am having trouble with is finding the derivative of...
ln[sqrt(x^2+y^2)]
I'm sure it is something simple and I remember learning it in Calc I or II but I forgot. Please help remind me! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]ln(\sqrt{x^2+y^2}) = ln(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})^\frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}ln(x^2+y^2)[/tex]

Is it easier now?

Yes I believe so...

Would it then be...

(1/2) [(2x+2y)/(x^2+y^2)]

...if I remember correctly??

Which would then simplify to

1/(x+y)

?

Are you taking the total derivative, or what is the variable you are differentiating with respect to?

Remember [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(y^n)=ny^{n-1}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Supraanimo's question is still important. ln[sqrt(x^2+y^2)] has two variables. "The derivative" might be the gradient, but more often you are asked to find the partial derivatives. Which is it?

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]ln(\sqrt{x^2+y^2}) = ln(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})^\frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2}ln(x^2+y^2)[/tex]

Is it easier now?

Just to correct a typo...This should read

[tex]ln(\sqrt{x^2+y^2}) = ln((x^2+y^2)^\frac{1}{2}) = \frac{1}{2}ln(x^2+y^2)[/tex]

1. What is the derivative of ln(x)?

The derivative of ln(x) is 1/x.

2. Can the chain rule be applied to find the derivative of a function with ln?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to find the derivative of a function with ln.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function with ln and other functions?

To find the derivative of a function with ln and other functions, you can use the logarithmic differentiation method. This involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation and then using the rules of logarithms to simplify the expression before taking the derivative.

4. Is the derivative of ln(x) the same as the derivative of e^x?

No, the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x while the derivative of e^x is e^x. However, the two functions are inverses of each other, so their derivatives are related.

5. Can the quotient rule be used to find the derivative of a function with ln?

Yes, the quotient rule can be used to find the derivative of a function with ln. However, it may be more efficient to use the logarithmic differentiation method in some cases.