Quantum mechanics books for a beginner

In summary, the conversation discusses various suggestions for good books on quantum mechanics for a layman who is interested in the subject. Some recommended books include David Park's "Introduction to the Quantum Theory," Feynman's "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter," Morrison's "Understanding Quantum Physics: A User's Manual, Vol. 1," and Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics." The conversation also touches on the writing styles and strengths of these books, as well as the importance of a good mathematical background in studying quantum mechanics. There is also a brief mention of other resources, such as lectures and e-books, but it is noted that Physics Forums does not allow links to sites that violate copyrights.
pkarnett
Hello,

I was wondering what some good books on quantum mechanics would be for a layman? I am very interested in the subject and need a place to really get started. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffiths

Introduction to the Quantum Theory - David Park.

I second Griffiths

Feynman may have been a great scientist but can't explain a squat. I have read his QED book when I was trying to understand QED - it's a total conceptual confusion. Maybe one can make some sense out of it if he/she already knows the material but for beginner it's totally inappropriate.

robphy said:
Morrison, Understanding Quantum Physics: A User's Manual, Vol. 1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0137479085/?tag=pfamazon01-20
(I once considered it for my choice of textbook.)

I use it myself. It's different from most other QM books in that it fills in most of the mathematical steps that other books gloss over or leave to exercises. It spends a lot of time discussing mathematical technique, in addition to the conceptual stuff about QM. And the writing style is more conversational than other books.

The downside is that the mathematical details slow down the conceptual development, and you have to search through a lot of stuff when you're looking for one particular point or example.

My students usually need all the help they can get with the math, so the detail is worthwhile for me. Students with a good mathematical background would probably find it excruciatingly slow-paced.

DeadWolfe said:
I second Griffiths

I third (?) that :biggrin:
Still by far my favorite book on QM, and IMO the clearest introduction. Also Griffiths has a clear font, boxed formulas, clear sectioning and plenty of whitespace, all points that I personally appreciate in a book. As for the contents, it covers basically everything you would want to learn in an introductory QM course (or maybe even two of them); starting by an intuitive approach, in the second part developing the formalism and comparing it to the results from the fist part.

I strongly suggest you buy this book anyway, apart from any standard work like Sakurai or the others mentioned in this thread you may want to have as a reference later.

smallphi said:
Feynman may have been a great scientist but can't explain a squat. I have read his QED book when I was trying to understand QED - it's a total conceptual confusion. Maybe one can make some sense out of it if he/she already knows the material but for beginner it's totally inappropriate.

For the layman (as requested by the OP),
the QED book is probably best for "quantum mechanics" (in general).

(Just in case there's any confusion... the little https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691024170/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book.)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those beginning the subject, you must have a look at Robert Eisberg's book on the subject. A quick read through Alice in Quantumland (Gilmore's) should help you get past the screen-of-terror that keeps newbies from just "doing" the subject. Once these are done.. try Greiner, or Schiff, or Shankar. You must read Dirac's book (Principles..) and Watch Leonard's lectures on YouTube (they are also on SoiT, if you have iTunes)

by-the-way can I suggest links for getting the e-books or is that illegal ?

Physics Forums does not allows links to sites that violate copyrights.

maxislinux, you were one day early.
If you had waited just 24 more hours, the dates between your post and the last one before that would have matched :-)

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes the principles and laws that govern the behavior of these particles, which can often seem counterintuitive compared to our everyday experiences.

2. Why should I read a quantum mechanics book as a beginner?

Reading a quantum mechanics book as a beginner is a great way to gain a foundational understanding of this complex and fascinating field. It will help you develop a framework for understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, which can be applied to many areas of science and technology.

3. What are some recommended quantum mechanics books for beginners?

Some highly recommended quantum mechanics books for beginners include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Introducing Quantum Theory" by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate, and "Quantum Mechanics for Beginners" by Albert Tarantola.

4. Do I need a strong background in math and physics to understand quantum mechanics?

While a strong background in math and physics can certainly be helpful in understanding quantum mechanics, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many introductory quantum mechanics books are written in a way that is accessible to beginners with a basic understanding of algebra and some knowledge of classical physics.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of quantum mechanics in real life?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications in various fields, including technology, medicine, and materials science. Some examples include the development of quantum computers, quantum cryptography for secure communication, and the use of quantum mechanics in medical imaging techniques.