Can Vector Fields be Extended to Submanifolds?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Lee's Riemannian Manifolds book that asks to show that any vector field on an embedded submanifold M can be extended to a vector field on the larger manifold M'. There is some confusion about whether the extension should be global or local, and a counterexample is given using the function dt/t on (0,1) as a subset of IR. The conversation then delves into possible ways to extend this function to R, with the hint being to consider the function with constant value one on (0,1). Eventually, it is clarified that the problem being discussed is problem 2.3, part b on page 15 of Lee's book.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi: I am going over Lee's Riemm. mflds, and there is an exercise that asks:

Let M<M' (< is subset) be an embedded submanifold.

Show that any vector field X on M can be extended to a vector field on M'.

Now, I don't know if he means that X can be extended to the _whole_ of

M', because otherwise, there is a counterexample:

dt/t on (0,1) as a subset of IR cannot be extended to the whole of IR.

Anyone know?.

What Would Gauss Do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure M is not supposed to be a closed submanifold?

Hi. I did not see this stated, and I cannot see if it is being assumed somehow.

Only conditions I saw where that M<M' , and M embedded submanifold of M',

and a V.Field is defined in M.

Re the second issue, of extensions, I guess these extensions are local, tho

not necessarily global, right?. The answer would seem to be yes pretty

clearly, but my intuition has failed me before.

WWGD said:
Hi: I am going over Lee's Riemm. mflds, and there is an exercise that asks:

Let M [be a submanofld of] M'. Show that any vector field X on M can be extended to a vector field on M'.

...there is a counterexample:

dt/t on (0,1) as a subset of IR cannot be extended to the whole of IR.

Consider the function with constant value one on (0,1). How many ways can you extend it to R?

Chris Hillman said:
Consider the function with constant value one on (0,1). How many ways can you extend it to R?

Thanks, Chris, I am not sure I get the hint; there are uncountably many ways,

for a continuous extension, most obvious extension being f==1 in IR (attach

a line segment of slope m, m in (-oo,oo) , maybe

smaller cardinality for smooth extensions . For smoothness I would imagine

some combination of e^-x 's attached to both ends, or maybe some other

bump functions ( Lee does not specify if X is C^1 , or C^k, C^oo).

All I can think of when I think of immersed submanifolds is slice coordinates, tho

this does not seem to make sense for 1-manifolds like (0,1) in IR.

Am I on the right track?.

Mrmph... never mind the hint, I was looking at the wrong textbook in Lee's excellent trilogy, my mistake! Unfortunately you are using the one I don't have, but can you state the what exercise you are attempting? I might be able to obtain a copy next week. I expect we will be able to figure it out!

Last edited:
Yes, this is Lee's Riemannian mflds, problem 2.3, part b, p.15 in my edition.

Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of extending vector fields?

The purpose of extending vector fields is to broaden the scope and applicability of vector fields in different mathematical and scientific contexts. By extending vector fields, we can better describe and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

2. How do you extend a vector field?

To extend a vector field, we can use various mathematical techniques such as linear transformations, differential equations, and coordinate transformations. These methods allow us to manipulate and modify the existing vector field to better suit our needs.

3. What are the benefits of extending vector fields?

Extending vector fields can provide a more comprehensive understanding of a system or phenomenon. It allows us to capture more complex behaviors and interactions that may not be captured by a simple vector field. Additionally, extended vector fields can also help in making predictions and analyzing the stability of a system.

4. Are there any limitations to extending vector fields?

While extending vector fields can be beneficial, it also has its limitations. One limitation is that the extended vector field may become more complex and difficult to interpret. Additionally, the accuracy of the extended vector field may also be affected by the assumptions and techniques used in the extension process.

5. In what fields of science is extending vector fields commonly used?

Extending vector fields is commonly used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. It is particularly useful in studying dynamic systems and phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, population dynamics, and financial markets.