PF PHOTO CONTEST - Animal Instinct (11/24-11/30)

In summary: I don't think he liked it very much...three seconds later, there was 400lbs of highland gorilla charging towards us. I was clicking pictures while this was happening, but my hands were very shaky on the last shot, an instant before the great ape slammed into the glass barrier, inches in front my nose. Fortunately, I was carrying an extra pair of pants!
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Animal Instinct

This week's picture will be on ANIMALS. However, it does NOT include domesticated cats and dogs, since they either already have, or will have, their own separate category. The "wild cousins" of cats and dogs such as tigers, lions, coyotes, wolves, etc. are allowed.

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are other domesticated pets allowed?

hard to pick just one...

http://bikeflat.com/albums/BayArea/DSCF1870.sized.jpg

"Do not feed the animals, via Yosemite"

Last edited by a moderator:
matthyaouw said:
Are other domesticated pets allowed?

Yes.

Zz.

crocs.jpg

This was taken at Crocodile Bank (Chennai, India).

Going for the cute factor with this one. The chipmunks will seek me out and climb on me looking for seeds, but these guys are too cautious for that.

squirrels.jpg

turbo-1 said:
Going for the cute factor with this one.

I knew you'd post this one! :biggrin:

2059099087_ebf41acdf3_o.jpg

neutrino said:
I knew you'd post this one! :biggrin:
You've seen too many of my pictures... :rolleyes:

Chi Meson said:
Now it's the battle for 2nd place.

Here's a pair of average, typical, Central Park birds.
birds.jpg
Thanks for the early vote of confidence, but with all the photographers on this forum, I don't expect a pair of red squirrels to hold up.

By the way, is Central Park in Hawaii? What ARE those birds?

Nice white-tail, larkspur! You must have gotten her in May before fawning time - her belly is way big.

2059251775_c2d6ad469a_o.jpg

Ooooh, can I have a kitty like that?

NeoDevin said:
Ooooh, can I have a kitty like that?
Sure, but tigers eat 50-75# of meat a day, so you wouldn't last more than a few days. :rofl:

turbo-1 said:
Nice white-tail, larkspur! You must have gotten her in May before fawning time - her belly is way big.

Yes, I took this in May.

I better put on some weight then, where's all that food from the last contest.

If you ate enough of the stuff in my entry (habanero relish) it might make you tiger-proof.

IMG_0052.jpg

Wild guinea pigs of Cuba

Picture004.jpg

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:

I was noticing that too. It's a 2-fer...one doe and one on the way. :biggrin:

At the gorilla enclosure of the Columbus Zoo, there were a couple of little kids standing about me, tapping on the glass partition, trying to catch the gorilla's attention. I don't think he liked it very much...three seconds later, there was 400lbs of highland gorilla charging towards us. I was clicking pictures while this was happening, but my hands were very shaky on the last shot, an instant before the great ape slammed into the glass barrier, inches in front my nose.

Fortunately, I was carrying an extra pair of pants! I don't think those kids will try anything like that again.

That was my immediate memory when I saw the contest title, but I can't seem to find the pictures. :(

turbo-1 said:
If you ate enough of the stuff in my entry (habanero relish) it might make you tiger-proof.

I like habanero's, but I'm not such a fan of relish...

Maybe I'll just have the peppers :)

NeoDevin said:
I like habanero's, but I'm not such a fan of relish...

Maybe I'll just have the peppers :)
My relish is entirely habaneros and garlic packed in some salt, sugar, vinegar, with or without dill. If you can eat my habanero relish, you'll be doing well. My chilies are home-grown, and WAY hotter than the stuff that you can get from stores. If I give my neighbor a jar of habanero relish made from (desparation!) store-bought chilies, he'll be bringing me back the empty jar in a couple of weeks. If I give him my real relish made from home-grown peppers he has to be a lot more cautious about how much he puts on sandwiches, etc, and I won't see him back with the empty jar for a couple of months. So judging from the informal "chili-head neighbor" scale of hotness, my habs are 8-10x hotter than the stuff in the produce aisle.

Found the picture I was talking about...

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/925/img2480pc6.jpg

Gokul43201 said:

[/URL]

Ow! I need to dig around for photos and figure out which ones I've already posted in previous contests.

I'm still having a hard time taking the idea of "wild" guinea pigs seriously though...I know, I know, they really are wild somewhere, but still...sounds funny...I'd laugh about the wild hamsters in Syria too.

Moonbear said:
Ow! I need to dig around for photos and figure out which ones I've already posted in previous contests.

Have you entered those pics of the little fawns?

Because you can never have too many tigers...

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4922/detzoo077smjh7.jpg

Math Is Hard said:
Have you entered those pics of the little fawns?

I think so. That's the problem, I've posted some for contests and some just for other threads, and can't remember which is which! :uhh:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/200/streeetchbywhitepegasuskj0.jpg

I call it "streeeetch" :rofl:

Not even the first full day into the contest, and I already see that this is going to be an IMPOSSIBLE contest to vote on.

Zz.

Gokul43201 said:

[/URL]

WOW! You DO look really scared in that picture, Gokul. That must have been terrifying!

FredGarvin said:
Because you can never have too many tigers...

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4922/detzoo077smjh7.jpg
[/URL]

Awwwrrrr...that tiger wants tummy rubs! :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
WOW! You DO look really scared in that picture, Gokul. That must have been terrifying!
I was more scared than you can tell, the blasted gorilla couldn't shoot straight enough to even capture my fear-stricken eyes! And Happy Thanksgiving to you too! :smile:

Gokul43201 said:
I was more scared than you can tell, the blasted gorilla couldn't shoot straight enough to even capture my fear-stricken eyes! And Happy Thanksgiving to you too! :smile:

:rofl:
Hope your T-day was a nice one.