Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem on p.85 involving a continuous function c: [0,1] \rightarrow (R^n)^n, where each (c^1(t),c^2(t),...,c^n(t)) is a basis for R^n. The problem is to prove that the orientation defined by the basis cannot change when it continuously varies. A counterexample is provided for n=2 and the importance of understanding the notation [v1,...vn] is emphasized. It is suggested to purchase a copy of the book to support the author, Michael Spivak.
zhentil
Please forgive any stupid mistakes I've made.

On p.85, 4-5:

If [tex]c: [0,1] \rightarrow (R^n)^n [/tex] is continuous and each [tex](c^1(t),c^2(t),...,c^n(t)) [/tex] is a basis for [tex] R^n [/tex], prove that
[tex]|c^1(0),...,c^n(0)| = |c^1(1),...,c^n(1)| [/tex].

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but doesn't [tex] c(t) = ((1+t,0),(0,1+t)) [/tex] provide a counterexample to the statement when n=2?

Physics news on Phys.org
have you read the section preceding the problem, specifically the definition of the notation [v1,...vn]? the bracket notation refers to the orientation defined by the basis. so the problem is to prove that a continuously varying basis cannot change orientation. this is easy since the determinant cannot change sign without being zero in between.

you have misrepresented the bracket notation as absolute value, at least according to my copy of spivak.

I see. I have a (poor) photocopy of this section, and I can't distinguish between absolute value and the brackets you mentioned. Thank you for clarifying.

i suggest you buy one. then the author makes a few bucks, or maybe a nickel, i believe he told me once.

Spivak most definitely deserves some of your money. Possibly most of it.

1. What is "Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85" about?

"Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85" is a section in Michael Spivak's book "Calculus on Manifolds" which discusses the concept of exterior derivatives and their properties on manifolds.

2. What is the purpose of studying exterior derivatives in "Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85"?

The purpose of studying exterior derivatives in this section is to extend the concept of differentiation to higher-dimensional manifolds, allowing for the calculation of derivatives of functions on manifolds.

3. Is "Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85" suitable for beginners in calculus?

No, this section assumes a solid understanding of multivariable calculus and differential forms. It is recommended for advanced students or researchers in mathematics.

4. How does "Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85" relate to other branches of mathematics?

The study of exterior derivatives is an important tool in differential geometry, which is used to study the properties of smooth curved spaces. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the field of general relativity.

5. Can "Spivak Calc on Manifolds, p.85" be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the concepts discussed in this section have practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. They can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena that involve curved spaces.