Apparent Magnitude of planets as seen from earth

In summary, Mars has an apparent magnitude that varies between -2.9 and 1.8, while Mercury's varies between -2.0 and 5.5 according to Wikipedia. The numbers suggest that Mercury would have the greatest variation in brightness, but it is not clear why. Some factors to consider are Mercury's visibility during inferior/superior conjunction due to the bright sun and Mars' retrograde motion during opposition. However, Venus may also be a contender for having the greatest variation in brightness due to its brightness as viewed from Earth and its phases like the Moon.
RiChY
I've seen that Mars' apparent magnitude varies between -2.9 and 1.8 and Mercury's from -2.0 and 5.5 (wikipedia said so at least).
I'm trying to figure out which planet would have the greatest variation in brightness, as seen from Earth. The numbers at wikipedia points in the direction of Mercury, but I can't explain why it should be either planet.

Would it be Mercury? Because when in inferior/superior conjunction it's not visible due to the much brighter sun?
Would it be Mars? Because of the retrograde motion when it's in opposition?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd say Venus, because it's the brightest among all planets as viewed from Earth(around -4.5 at the peak). And during inferior conjunction, and especially when it's in a solar transit, it's basically a black disk. Unlike planets beyond Earth, Mercury and Venus have phases like the Moon.

RiChY said:
I've seen that Mars' apparent magnitude varies between -2.9 and 1.8 and Mercury's from -2.0 and 5.5 (wikipedia said so at least).
I'm trying to figure out which planet would have the greatest variation in brightness, as seen from Earth. The numbers at wikipedia points in the direction of Mercury, but I can't explain why it should be either planet.

Would it be Mercury? Because when in inferior/superior conjunction it's not visible due to the much brighter sun?
Would it be Mars? Because of the retrograde motion when it's in opposition?

Any help would be appreciated :)

The motion of all planets are defined clearly, so it is imposible to mix among them.

What is the Apparent Magnitude of a planet as seen from Earth?

The Apparent Magnitude of a planet is a measure of its brightness as seen from Earth. It is determined by factors such as the planet's size, distance from Earth, and the amount of light it reflects.

Why does the Apparent Magnitude of a planet change over time?

The Apparent Magnitude of a planet can change over time due to its changing position in its orbit around the sun. As the distance between Earth and the planet changes, the amount of light reaching Earth also changes, resulting in a change in the Apparent Magnitude.

How is the Apparent Magnitude of a planet calculated?

The Apparent Magnitude of a planet is calculated using a logarithmic scale based on the amount of light received from the planet. The lower the Apparent Magnitude, the brighter the object appears to be.

What is the difference between Apparent Magnitude and Absolute Magnitude?

The Apparent Magnitude of a planet is how bright it appears to us from Earth, while the Absolute Magnitude is how bright it would appear if it were located 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) away from Earth. Absolute Magnitude takes into account the actual luminosity of the planet, rather than its perceived brightness.

How does atmospheric conditions affect the Apparent Magnitude of a planet?

The Apparent Magnitude of a planet can be affected by atmospheric conditions, such as pollution or clouds, which can block and scatter light, making the planet appear dimmer than it actually is. This is known as atmospheric extinction and can vary depending on the location and time of observation.