Understanding Seesaw Physics: Exploring Torque and Angular Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between the distance of an object from the fulcrum on a seesaw and its angular acceleration. The formula \tau = I \cdot \alpha was used to calculate the angular acceleration, but it was pointed out that this formula only applies to a point mass on a massless seesaw. It was suggested that if the seesaw is not light enough or the load is not a point mass, then the formula does not apply. Including the rotational inertia of the seesaw in the total rotational inertia can account for these factors.
compwiz3000
When I do some physics derivation, I find that on a seesaw, if the object is farther away from the fulcrum, the angular acceleration decreases. Is this true? If not, where did I go wrong?
[tex]\tau = I \cdot \alpha[/tex]

[tex]\tau=F \cdot r[/tex]

Then, [tex]\alpha = \frac{F \cdot r}{I} = \frac{F_g \cdot r}{mr^2}=\frac{g \cdot m \cdot r}{mr^2}=\frac{g}{r}[/tex], so if the distance "r" increases, angular acceleration decreases...did I do something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure? Some people have told me that it's wrong, because I have to account for the mass of the seesaw.

It's not that it is wrong, it simply makes some assumptions. The formula you derived is for a point mass on a massless seesaw. If your seesaw is not light enough to approximate as massless or if your load is too large to be considered a point then your formula doesn't apply.

What if I cannot assume the masses are negligible? How would I derive that? And in that case, would angular acceleration increase?

Just include the rotational inertia of the seesaw as part of the total rotational inertia:
[tex]I_{total} = I_{seesaw} + mr^2 = 1/12 M L^2 + mr^2[/tex]

1. What is torque and how does it relate to seesaw physics?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In seesaw physics, torque is the force that is applied to one end of the seesaw, causing it to rotate around the center point or fulcrum.

2. How does the distance of the weights from the fulcrum affect the seesaw's balance?

The distance between the weights and the fulcrum determines the amount of torque exerted on the seesaw. The seesaw will be balanced when the torque on both sides is equal. Therefore, the weights need to be placed at a certain distance from the fulcrum to achieve balance.

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity. It is directly proportional to the torque applied to the object. This means that the more torque applied, the greater the angular acceleration will be.

4. How does the weight of the objects on the seesaw affect the overall balance?

The weight of the objects on the seesaw affects the balance by contributing to the overall torque. The heavier the objects, the more torque they will exert, and the more force will be required on the other side to achieve balance.

5. Can you explain why a heavier person sitting closer to the fulcrum can balance a lighter person sitting further away?

This is due to the principle of moments, which states that the total clockwise moments must equal the total counterclockwise moments for an object to be in equilibrium. In this case, the heavier person sitting closer to the fulcrum will exert more torque, balancing out the lighter person's torque who is sitting further away.