TMI pressure vessel integrity.

In summary, the TMI-2 accident resulted in damage to the reactor pressure vessel, specifically the liner and part of the carbon steel shell. The upper half of some fuel elements disintegrated, along with control rod clusters, and there was evidence of damage at one corner of the core. Fuel particles also fell to the bottom of the vessel and interacted with the stainless steel liner. While some baffle plates were perforated, the core barrel remained intact.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I would like to check something. If I understand well, in the TMI accident, the reactor vessel was never damaged (in the sense of: having lost major containment function) ? Can someone confirm this, or correct my understanding ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
AFAIK, the reactor pressure vessel was not perforated, but the liner and part of the carbon steel shell was damaged (partially melted or chemically reacted) from the core material that melted/interacted with the baffle and core support plate. I've seen pictures from the inside and it's a mess.

Ah, was at some point the vessel completely emptied from water ? I thought it was just the upper part of the fuel elements that was out of the water and melted ?

Certainly the upper half of some of the fuel had disintegrated along with the control rod clusters (SS and Ag-In-Cd), but I also seem to remember the damage at one corner of the core.

Here is picture of the damaged TMI-2 core - http://americanhistory.si.edu/tmi/images/10.01_enlarged.jpg

and - http://americanhistory.si.edu/tmi/tmi08.htm

from - http://americanhistory.si.edu/tmi/tmi10.htm

There was some fuel particles/chunks which fell to the bottom of the RPV, and I believe they interacted with the stainless-steel liner on the bottom.

There are other pictures, but I can't seem to find them at the moment, but similar to

http://www.mpra.com/graphics/d-d_tmi2coredamage.gif

This last one shows that the one or two of the baffle plates were perforated, but the core barrel is apparently intact.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a TMI pressure vessel?

A TMI (Three Mile Island) pressure vessel is a component of a nuclear reactor that contains and controls the nuclear fuel and coolant. It is responsible for maintaining the appropriate pressure and temperature levels to sustain the nuclear reaction.

2. How is the integrity of a TMI pressure vessel ensured?

The integrity of a TMI pressure vessel is ensured through rigorous testing and inspection procedures. These include non-destructive testing methods such as ultrasonic testing, radiography, and eddy current testing, as well as visual inspections and pressure tests.

3. What factors can affect the integrity of a TMI pressure vessel?

Several factors can affect the integrity of a TMI pressure vessel, including corrosion, fatigue, and thermal stress. Other potential factors include manufacturing defects, external impacts, and radiation damage.

4. How often does a TMI pressure vessel need to be inspected?

The frequency of TMI pressure vessel inspections varies depending on the specific regulations and guidelines of the country or organization responsible for the nuclear facility. Generally, inspections are performed on a regular basis, ranging from every 1-2 years to every 10 years.

5. What are the consequences of a compromised TMI pressure vessel?

A compromised TMI pressure vessel can lead to a loss of containment of the nuclear fuel and coolant, which can result in a nuclear meltdown and release of radioactive material. This can have catastrophic consequences for both human health and the environment.